Who's gone and bought one?

Let's hear it !!!
http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthread.../page/2#550227
xlcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 06:28 PM   #3
Wings
marmaduked

Oddometer: 14,098
This thing looks interesting. I'm not in the need of the weather channel. It sure would be neat not having to mount a Roady II along with all the other gizmos. So, would this 376C actually play music via my current XM radio subscription? If it doesn't it would be useless to me.

Smugmug coupon code: CKZQ0vLPlmLFw
Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 07:13 AM   #4
MattS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings
This thing looks interesting. I'm not in the need of the weather channel. It sure would be neat not having to mount a Roady II along with all the other gizmos. So, would this 376C actually play music via my current XM radio subscription? If it doesn't it would be useless to me.
The weather is seriously nice, though ... for the music you would cancel your current sub and activate a new one, but you'd be eligible for existing family-plan pricing. Interestingly, the radio ID is not tied to the GPS, but to the GXM 30 antenna that is used to fetch the XM and XM WX signals.

Here is the kit mounted on a GS:

Unmounted, the chrome bracket (center) mounts to the bar then accepts the threads of the magnetic pole mount ... the magnetic antenna then sits on that.

The weather, like I said, is pretty trick:

If you were doing a long ride, either a day ride or a long trip, having the up-to-the-minute rain data could spell the difference between wet and dry. Not that rain is a bad thing, but it's nice to have options.

MattS screwed with this post 10-07-2005 at 07:44 AM Reason: Changed
MattS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 08:52 AM   #5
RL Lemke
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattS
The weather is seriously nice, though ... but to the GXM 30 antenna that is used to fetch the XM and XM WX signals.
To receive XM Weather, is a separate antenna required?

I don't know why, but when I am riding in California my GPS signal is weaker than in Texas. So much so, that when I am in tree cover in northern California I lose signal. Riding in Arkansas, under full tree canopy, I seldon ever lose signal.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:45 AM   #6
MattS
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL Lemke
To receive XM Weather, is a separate antenna required?

I don't know why, but when I am riding in California my GPS signal is weaker than in Texas. So much so, that when I am in tree cover in northern California I lose signal. Riding in Arkansas, under full tree canopy, I seldon ever lose signal.
The separate antenna (branded "Garmin" in the images) is required for the XM music and WX services.

Interesting about the signal loss ... I have the same issues in NJ (and did last weekend in CA), losing it easily under tree cover. What's good in AR is good in TN, will be moving there in a few weeks ... could be good.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:49 AM   #7
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,474
So, there's 2 antennas on this thing?
Old 10-07-2005, 11:21 AM   #8
johnlt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby
So, there's 2 antennas on this thing?
Yes, one is the small one that rotates up from the 376C for the GPS signal and the other is the large Garmin one for the XM/Weather.
1975 BMW R75/6
Yamaha WR250R
johnlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 03:43 PM   #9
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlt
Yes, one is the small one that rotates up from the 376C for the GPS signal and the other is the large Garmin one for the XM/Weather.
Thanks.

I suppose that makes it less transportable from bike to bike than the 276c. Something to think about.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:15 PM   #10
MattS
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby
Thanks.

I suppose that makes it less transportable from bike to bike than the 276c. Something to think about.
Yes and no ... you don't need the second (external XM) antenna for the GPS to function -- and you could move the antenna from bike to bike. The picture above is a rental bike, but the same kit is now installed on my bike. Just a question of brackets and mounts.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:55 PM   #11
RL Lemke
Beastly Adventurer

I wonder if there are other alternatives to the GXM 30 boat antenna. Something small that I could attach to the bike in an out of the way place.

Matt: Which weather program did you subscribe to? Will they let you take it a month at a time?

On a long ride, it sure would be nice to be able to divert from a route to miss weather. Given a choice, I'll stick to sunshine and dry. The times I've ridden thru snow, hail, sleet, and lightning strikes do offer a lot of memories though.

RL Lemke screwed with this post 10-07-2005 at 07:06 PM
RL Lemke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 07:32 PM   #12
custmmc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
MattS,

Where did you get the bar mount for the XM antenna?

FWIW, the body of the 376C would appear to be exactly the same as the 276C, except for the small jack on the back for the XM radio output. The XM antenna plugs into the USB connector. All of the power cables and mounting brackets from my 276C fit the new 376C. I have not yet subscribed to the XM weather or radio. Just using the GPS functions. I also use it in my truck(easier to find an address when I need to pick up a motorcycle), but do not yet have a way to get the XM output into my Dodge stereo. Anyone have affordable suggestions? I do not want to purchase a new stereo for truck.

Also, does anyone know of a website that is set up to share GPS routes and tracks among motorcyclist?

Ron
custmmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 07:39 PM   #13
RL Lemke
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by custmmc
Also, does anyone know of a website that is set up to share GPS routes and tracks among motorcyclist?

Ron
http://gpsexchange.dyndns.org/phpBB2/index.php?c=2
Old 10-07-2005, 07:40 PM   #14
MattS
Gnarly Adventurer

I started with the Fisherman package, one of three available at $29.99/month -- the other two are Sailor and Aviator -- chose it because it has "surface pressure" while the others have wave direction and/or NOTAMs, neither of which are at all useful for my thing. At least barometric pressure is relevant.

The more expensive packages have what I don't have -- the satellite mosaic with cloud cover. The cheap package is strictly NEXRAD, with is pixellated as 2km squares. For another $20 a month, I could get pretty pictures .. or everything for another $70. Still cheaper than crack, I think.

I'm going a month at a time, there are also some coupon codes "out there" that will get them to waive the activation fee (normally $50 or $100). From what I've heard, once you're active, they won't charge you to change service tiers (or sample them, as the case may be).

Do a search on pilots using the 396 ... that's the $2500 balls-out aviation model that the 376C is the bastard stepchild of. Pilots are reporting the ability to fly through certain storms, where the weather data confirms a safe corridor through -- a capability not previously available to private pilots.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:42 PM   #15
MattS
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by custmmc
Where did you get the bar mount for the XM antenna?
West Marine ... I went locally and found it. $40 and weighs a ton. I'm sure if I did some research, I could find something better. Does the job for now.