Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2014, 08:29 PM   #1
opticalmace OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Learning on a small bike -- when to upgrade?

Hi all,

I have a new-gen Ninja 250R. This is my second season, and I have about 13000km on it. I enjoy the bike and I think that I am learning a lot. I have definitely made some mistakes but it seems quite forgiving. I'm certainly nowhere near the skill ceiling fn the bike.

I have heard some people say that it's easier to increase your technical proficiency as a new rider on a smaller bike than a bigger bike. Now, I would like a bike better suited to 2-up riding, with better comfort than my Ninja. However, I don't want to retard my skill development. For the most part I am fine with the power of the 250, though at highway speeds (or from a dead stop) it can be tiresome. In fact I test rode some fast bikes and I really don't want an inline 4.

I'm a little split between sticking with my 250 to try to sharpen my skills or going to something a bit bigger that is perhaps more suitable to my needs. Ideally I would have one of each bike, but that is not practical now.

Any advice? Thanks.
opticalmace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:40 PM   #2
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,151
Go ahead and move up. You got your experience on the smaller machine now enjoy more power and carrying comfort. You can still hone your skills, how about something like a Wee strom?
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:24 PM   #3
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 549
There's nothing saying you have to upgrade but having enough power to get out of your own way can be an asset.

Also, don't think that just because a bike weighs more than a roller skate your skills will somehow stop developing, it is a constant process for the rest of your life and there is always some improvement to make. In reality it is usually more difficult to ride a heavier bike, so if you ever do go back down to a 250 you'll probably be able to to do things with it you wouldn't have dreamed of before. After riding my big Buell Cyclone for a few months and going back to my Buell Blast I was able to make u-turns in a single parking spot with it, or at least that's what it seemed like
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:37 PM   #4
doxiedog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Find a nice used sv650.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:06 AM   #5
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxiedog View Post
Find a nice used sv650.
Good suggestion, I was thinking a 650 Versys if he wants a more comfortable ride.
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:14 AM   #6
catweasel67
Banned

Oddometer: 8,104
I'd echo most of what the others have said except to say that, pound for pound, nothing beats the value of training. Whether it be a track day with a trainer or an off-road course, it'll help bridge the gap between where you are now and where you want to be.

As for "when" - I've tended to upgrade when my current bike didn't/couldn't do what I wanted it to do in the manner I wanted it to do. That could be dealing with long distance, at speed, motorway journeys, flicking around a local racetrack on a trackday, bumbling down a country lane, coping with a pillion etc etc.

Once you know what it is your want the most from a bike, you'll be able to start narrowing down your choices - and then your budget will narrow it down even further (unless you're extremely lucky).
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:33 AM   #7
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,445
so long as you aren't changing your riding environment (rural to city, for instance) i think you are fine to upgrade to a middleweight sort of bike, whatever it is

coming from a Ninja 250 a sport / street / standard bike would be good imo. doesn't need be an I4 if a sport bike. an adventure bike style ride is also nice

pretty sure you can handle it if you feel you can. confident enough, familar enough, and you have rode (at least test rode) other bikes. comfy on them? yes?

go for it!
Old 08-01-2014, 12:51 AM   #8
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,894
You've already received some very good advice. You said you don't want an inline 4, and there's no reason you should feel like you have to. A couple of people have mentioned SV650 and 650 Verseys; both twin cylinder bikes, as is a Ninja 650. A little heavier bike will perform better at highway speeds, and give a higher degree of comfort for longer trips, assuming it fits your body, of course (That's accomplished with aftermarket seats, peg relocation kits, bar risers and windscreens).
To me, the fact that you're already looking pretty much indicates that you're ready. There are LOTS of mid-sized bikes out there, and to me a good second bike would be anything from a 400cc thumper to an 800 twin or triple like the Triumph Tiger 800 or BMW F800ST/F800GS.
What do you want? And remember; form over function. By "what do you want", I mean what do you want it to DO? to feel? where to go? THEN consider looks.
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:11 AM   #9
dazeedmonds
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
I recently upgraded my bike. Went from a 250 cruiser to an I4 sport tourer. I'm certainly learning a lot still. The I4 may have been a bit much, a bike that actually MOVES when I twist the throttle is a change for certain. I like mine, but I would have been just as happy on something in the 650-800 range I think, this bike was just right place right time, the type of bike I wanted (long-ish range sport tourer) and in my price point (cheap) so I bought it. I think as someone else stated, if you're looking you're probably ready to move, just because you're not wringing every ounce out of it on a track doesn't mean you can't move up. I would say move up, and put a some serious saddle time in before adding a passenger. Mine has scared me a few times, glad I didn't have my daughter on it then.

If you move to something much heavier remember to practice your low speed turns and clutch control too. The big bikes don't weigh much more at speed, but you really feel it in a parking lot or a drive way. Especially when it decides it's time for a nap....
dazeedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:25 AM   #10
catweasel67
Banned

Oddometer: 8,104
I wouldn't get too sucked into the cliché that is bike progression - ie 125, then a 250 followed by something in the 500-750 range and finally a litre plus bike - that a lot of folks spout off.

I'd not saying leap onto a hyper-sportsbike - although a lot do, and neither am I saying that "mid-sized" bikes are bad, some of them are truly excellent but these days progression is best measured by bike capability rather than engine size. There's a lot of 1000cc+ bikes out there and the HP range is huge - almost 100hp end to end. Whilst the HP range shrinks as you go down in engine size, it's still significant.

FWIW I went from a 125 that I rented onto a 400 "cafe racer" that I bought cheap from a friend, then onto a 750 HD clone, then an 1110 "sports-tourer" and now I'm on a dual sport 750. My progression wasn't by design, or even my own capability, by rather it was driven by availability, budget and my own desires at the time.

As long as you exercise a modicum of common sense (and many don't), then there's really no bike that's so beyond your capabilities that it's unrideable. Whether you'd get value from it, or have fun on it is another question.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:13 AM   #11
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,263
Now wait a minute, are you thinking about racing for money at some point?

Sharpen your skills, in what way?
If you mean going really fast, a big bike at this point might help.

Or do you mean keeping safe on the road and having fun riding?
If its safe and fun it need not involve a bigger bike.

Since you have two years under your belt (but not many miles) and want to ride 2 up, a larger bike might be nice if you are big.

A large heavy fast bike, or any one of those three things makes riding less safe, and unless you want to go really fast, does not add to the fun.

Many people who have/had larger bikes hop on the small bikes and rediscover how much silly fun they are.
Maybe not the best tool for 2 up cross country, but people do that also, and it costs very little money.

There is the fun to $ ratio, and the HP to kill yourself ratio, and the HP to points on your licence ratio.

Have you checked out the rocket 3 yet?

But really, you might look at the new 300's, the power is less demanding, its a broader powerband that needs less tap dancing on the shifter.

Maybe sit on all the bikes and see what fits.
There are lots to choose from.
Various Triumphs, Moto Guzzi's, the nc700, plus all the usual Japanese suspects new and used, or you could become a pirate.

NJ-Brett screwed with this post 08-01-2014 at 06:21 AM
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:36 AM   #12
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
Just get the bigger bike, you'll be fine. With two years of experience, and the fact that you are actually asking about this tells me you are somewhat of a responsible rider. I have an SV1000, and I ride it no different than my GT250, you will adapt to the weight, power, and hopefully respect it.

I also second the SV650 option, great bike to upgrade to, cheap, reliable, good looking, etc.. If you really want to know how to ride a motorcycle, go do some track days, you won't regret it.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:52 AM   #13
McAninch35
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
You mentioned 2-up comfort- the importance of this will be a huge deciding factor in your upgrade. If you're going to be doing a lot of 2up riding, make sure your passenger is happy with their accommodations, or you may find yourself looking for another upgrade fairly quickly.
McAninch35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:09 AM   #14
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
Shame you can't keep the 250, too. After a few years of not owning a bike, I picked up an old Ninja 250 this summer just to give me two wheels to ride.

I wouldn't want one anymore as my daily rider, but it's been great fun to putter around on a 250 again.
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:59 AM   #15
opticalmace OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions, it helps a lot. I think I am going to go sit on an SV650 today.
opticalmace is online now   Reply With Quote