Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2005, 09:24 AM   #46
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,341
I just got back from 1,700 miles in Mexico. While there, I pulled a spoke nipple through the front rim, and then cracked it in another location.

My VIN is on the list, but with the problems I have had with DID KTM wheels in the past (three front wheels that I have broken), I think it's time for me to get a better quality wheel, heavier guage spokes and probably most importantly - oversized nipples.

Woody - how quick can you turn around a front wheel? I'll need it in less than two weeks.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 09:25 AM   #47
Nom de Guerre
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Coolio! PS - the recall included time for the shop to swap it out for ya, so if you want let them do it.
I probably will, if only to delay scratching up the new Excel rim doing a tire swap. It'll happen soon enough, but at least it'll look shiny and new for alittle while. Plus, I swapped my front and rears (back to the Sahara's) since I'm doing primarily street riding for the next two months, and I've had my fill of rim & rubber wrestling for a bit.

In any case, I also will have them bleed my front brake. I've never been any good at it.

I've got some vaccuum thingy tool that wasn't cheap, but I don't seem to be able to get a good bleed with it. I'm too lazy to take the front brake system off the bike to do a bench bleed, so that's probably why. I think there's a tiny bubble in the highest bend of my brake line that I can't seem to eliminate.

Nom de Guerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 09:27 AM   #48
Nom de Guerre
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe
My VIN is on the list, but with the problems I have had with DID KTM wheels in the past (three front wheels that I have broken), I think it's time for me to get a better quality wheel, heavier guage spokes and probably most importantly - oversized nipples.

Woody - how quick can you turn around a front wheel? I'll need it in less than two weeks.
GP, the rim is supposedly an Excel that they replace it with. Dunno yet about oversize nipples and heavier gauge spokes, but I'm guessing the wheel will be much better than the stck DID.

It's unlikely that you'll get it replaced under the recall within two weeks though.

Old 10-17-2005, 10:11 AM   #49
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4 Pilot
It's unlikely that you'll get it replaced under the recall within two weeks though.

I figured so much.

I'll get a wheel for my other 640 Adv through the recall, but see about Woody making me up a bulletproof one for my next ride.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 11:34 AM   #50
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4 Pilot
In any case, I also will have them bleed my front brake. I've never been any good at it.

I've got some vaccuum thingy tool that wasn't cheap, but I don't seem to be able to get a good bleed with it. I'm too lazy to take the front brake system off the bike to do a bench bleed, so that's probably why. I think there's a tiny bubble in the highest bend of my brake line that I can't seem to eliminate.
I am a hack at bleeding brakes but never seemed to have any trouble with them. On my old Yamaha I would simply loosen up the bleed screw and slowly, easy now! (that is key I am told), gently pumped (slow motion now) the brake. That lets big bubbles come out and doesn't make the little ones that spazin' out on the pumping makes. Just add a little more fluid in the reservoir when needed.

With the KTM I would simply put a bit of tubing on the bleed screw (has a fitting) and then point it upwards so the fluid could come out and in releasing the bubbles. I got some one-way valves for the KTM from Dual Star but now my method is screwed because the fluid doesn't go back in - going to try to put the tubing all the way back up to the reservior or... put the stockers back on.

But like I said, I am a hack; someone around here will have a nice method that will help ya. Should there be a thread about this?

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 02:19 PM   #51
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Update

Just got the word that KTM NA Technical Services is stating that the recall is NOT for US bikes... so I suppose that LC4 Pilot will get the sad news sometime that his rim is not being replaced.

I think this might be worth an email to KTM Austria. Done.

Old 10-17-2005, 03:48 PM   #52
Nom de Guerre
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Just got the word that KTM NA Technical Services is stating that the recall is NOT for US bikes... so I suppose that LC4 Pilot will get the sad news sometime that his rim is not being replaced.

I think this might be worth an email to KTM Austria. Done.
What about the "Countries: All" part on the service recall? It doesn't say "Countries: All (except for the USA).

Well, I'll let you know what happens on this end, but that seems like serious BS.

Let us know what you hear from Mattighoffen.

Old 10-17-2005, 04:06 PM   #53
G.Kennedy

Oddometer: 1,850
Hey Anthony, Which local dealer is going to bat for you?? I am not pursuing this, just curious. KTM SM seems not too bright when it come to stuff like this.
IBA#11791
G.Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 04:18 PM   #54
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,336
Waiting to hear here in Canada about my wheel. As it goes thru NA, bet I'll have the same answer.

At which point a more direct contact will be made. The dealer's a nice guy and all, but sometimes the personal touch is required.

And failing in that, then the factory gets a call. I'm thinking the NA warranty guy is trying to pinch his pennies. Tough titty for him.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:19 PM   #55
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10
Waiting to hear here in Canada about my wheel. As it goes thru NA, bet I'll have the same answer.

At which point a more direct contact will be made. The dealer's a nice guy and all, but sometimes the personal touch is required.

And failing in that, then the factory gets a call. I'm thinking the NA warranty guy is trying to pinch his pennies. Tough titty for him.
The position I heard was through a very good dealer who directly contacted KTM NA in Ohio.

Pinching Pennies...
In a recall situation at what point does it cross the line? Aren't we talking about rider safety? I know gaspipe just had his front wheel fail - what was the result? I am thinking that it could be bad, given the wrong situation.

Old 10-17-2005, 10:04 PM   #56
Nom de Guerre
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Kennedy
Hey Anthony, Which local dealer is going to bat for you?? I am not pursuing this, just curious. KTM SM seems not too bright when it come to stuff like this.
I wouldn't say that they're going to bat for me, but it is KTM SM, and when I brought in the documentation, they hadn't heard about the recall. The service mgr. said he'd call KTM NA to see what's up. 1 week later I stopped in to check on what the deal was, and he said the wheel was on order, and that he'd call me when it gets in.

That's all I know, and we'll see what happens from here. AFAIK, the warranty part happens after they swap the wheel. The recall notice mentions that they are supposed to clearly mark the original wheel with the VBK of the affected bike in waterproof felt marker, and return it to the KTM subsidiary or KTM importer. It furthermore states that the return of the original wheel is a condition for being credited.

BTW, in addition to stating "Countries: All," It also says "Restrictions: None - see vehicle history in dealer.net and attached excel list." (sic)

They even had the "None" bold like I just did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat pospicle
The position I heard was through a very good dealer who directly contacted KTM NA in Ohio.

Pinching Pennies...
In a recall situation at what point does it cross the line? Aren't we talking about rider safety? I know gaspipe just had his front wheel fail - what was the result? I am thinking that it could be bad, given the wrong situation.
Based on what I have read on this recall notice, it sounds like failing to honor the recall would be going against KTM's wishes especially given certain known failures in the U.S. like Gaspipe's, and might be grounds for dare I say it...

Nahhh... we'll wait and see.

Nom de Guerre screwed with this post 10-18-2005 at 09:21 AM Reason: typographical corrections
Old 10-18-2005, 05:32 AM   #57
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

The answer soon I hope

My message was forwarded to the appropriate party at KTM in Austria...

Old 10-18-2005, 06:33 AM   #58
G.Kennedy

Quote:
My message was forwarded to the appropriate party at KTM in Austria...
There is power in numbers !!!!. I think everyone who is hoping for a recall should be letting Austria know. It will trickle back down to NA. If I had not had mine relaced already I would be all over this.
IBA#11791
Old 10-18-2005, 07:20 AM   #59
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Kennedy
There is power in numbers !!!!. I think everyone who is hoping for a recall should be letting Austria know. It will trickle back down to NA. If I had not had mine relaced already I would be all over this.
Maybe KTM NA might reimburse you for already fixing the recalled item? I do not know if there is such a proceedure or requirement but it sure would be fun to have them do it, especially if KTM NA is ducking this responsibility.

I was hoping for more than a trickle down from KTM Austria. If the wheels on our bikes are supposed to be replaced then I would expect Austria to lay the Smackdown on Ohio.

"Replace those rims ya fargin' yanks!!!"

Old 10-18-2005, 07:49 AM   #60
G.Kennedy

Quote:
Maybe KTM NA might reimburse you for already fixing the recalled item?
It would generate some bad karma my way I think. I did have a two broken spokes, but I relaced more do to rusting spokes than a bad wheel. My bikes (unfortunately) are outside under covers. The stock spokes could not take the weather, so I went to stainless.
IBA#11791