Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2005, 12:19 PM   #61
Velocibiker
Adventure Antagonist

Oddometer: 1,165
Well, faxed a copy of the notice to my local dealer (also where I bought the bike). The shop owner called me and said he was going to call and check. He called back later and said he was going to order the new wheel and he would call me again when it came in.

That was pretty quick. I'm impressed. We'll see how long it takes for the new wheel to get here though.....

OT: Interestingly, he said was that I was the last person to buy an Adventure from them (December '02).
Old 10-19-2005, 02:02 PM   #62
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,176
Another one gets the shop to order it?

Interesting... I have a feeling that KTM NA will say no and you and LC4 Pilot will get a sorry from the dealer, but maybe not?

Waiting to hear from KTM Austria...

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 03:31 PM   #63
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 46,023
Just got this from my dealer:

Quote:
Hi Jim. I don't know if anyone else spoke with you yet but KTM are going to look after your rim. The paperwork has been completed and the request is in place. Someone should be in touch soon.
Waiting...
Old 10-19-2005, 03:45 PM   #64
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

good for you drifty

but,

KTM NA (Ohio) has told two dealers (that I was talking with) that this recall is not for our bikes...

Old 10-21-2005, 04:29 PM   #65
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
I know gaspipe just had his front wheel fail - what was the result? I am thinking that it could be bad, given the wrong situation.
I had to ride much slower than I'd have preferred the rest of the trip, but I made it home on the same rim. I am pretty particular about checking my bike each day when I'm travelling - especially the wheels on the KTM. I noticed a broken spoke on day two in Huachinera, and zip tied it to the crossing spoke. On day five, in Creel, I noticed the crack. On day eight, in Urique, I noticed the next broken spoke. Ended the ride, and turned and went home. Parked the bike in PHX on day 10.

If you ride the Adventure hard and fast, the OE front wheel just doesn't cut it. I have had three DID rims crack (two along the welded seam, and one from a spoke hole) so far. Probably have broken a dozen spokes by now. I had one wheel rebuilt with OE spokes by a real wheel builder and that lasted quite well, but that wheel was on my '01 640 that lives with gmm.

I'm not going to wait for KTM to contemplate liability vs. cost issues, so Woody's is building me up a new Sun wheel with oversized nipples and oversized stainless spokes. My other 640 will get the same front wheel as soon as it's home from KTM getting it's new motor .

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 09:06 PM   #66
G.Kennedy

Oddometer: 1,850
After seeing GP's crack coming off his spoke hole I checked my front rim closely. I have 4 hairline fractures coming off the spoke holes. Not sure how long they have been there. The spokes still have tension.

I will keep an eye on them .... have to start putting together a rim buget I guess.
IBA#11791
G.Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 11:36 PM   #67
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,352
My other 640 is still with KTM on the motor issue. I am curious to see what that wheel looks like. I just don't think the DID rim is up to the task of hard offroading and that big 320mm brake rotor. Spokes break, rims crack. Bad Juju. Bucannons is near ya - they make the Sun rims now. Time maybe for a relace and retire that DID to the wall of fame.

Start of the crack:

I've never had an issue with the rear wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Kennedy
After seeing GP's crack coming off his spoke hole I checked my front rim closely. I have 4 hairline fractures coming off the spoke holes. Not sure how long they have been there. The spokes still have tension.

I will keep an eye on them .... have to start putting together a rim buget I guess.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 08:04 AM   #68
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

I have also forwarded the KTM recall notice and Excel VIN list to KTM North America for a reply. They asked for the particulars on my bike to address message fully. They now have my VIN and should answer sometime soon; I will let y'all know what I hear from KTM NA and Austria.

Old 10-22-2005, 08:27 AM   #69
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe
I just don't think the DID rim is up to the task of hard offroading and that big 320mm brake rotor.

I've never had an issue with the rear wheels
gassy,

I want you to look carefully at the following pic of a KTM 660 Rallye, particularly the rims

The front is obviously an Excel, but the back looks like the standard DID.

Old 10-24-2005, 09:28 AM   #70
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Laugh KTM North America called this AM...

I got a call from a big mucky muck at KTM NA just minutes ago. He was not sure how I got a VP's email address () but he did give me the scoop on the front wheel recall. Hope I paraphrased him correctly:

KTM North America is finalizing preparations with KTM Austria, basically setting up the recall for this continent. In 5 days time they will be contacting all KTM NA dealerships and notifying them of the recall. Then they will be mailing out a notice to all affected owners. Once that has ocurred the system should be in place for all affected owners to have their wheel replaced. It's a done deal; just be patient.

The confusion obviously stems from the fact that the recall came across the pond via unofficial channels, faster than the official preparations were made. Then some jerks started asking for their replacement wheels before any dealership had been notified, apparently even before some folks at KTM NA had been notified, which led to some flailing or "creative" answers.

My favorite was a dealer asked someone at KTM NA, who obviously did not know, but they said that NA bikes were not affected because of the tire choice here did not create the problem... Anyways, kick back, and in about a week all y'all dealers will be notified and probably in a month all y'all owners will be notified.

Old 10-24-2005, 02:22 PM   #71
Velocibiker
Adventure Antagonist

Oddometer: 1,165
Damn internet!

Good news though. Thankfully all is still OK with mine. I'd be a little more irrate if I had a buggered up wheel and was told I'd have to wait another month (at least).

Thanks Meat!!

Old 10-24-2005, 05:37 PM   #72
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,346
ktm front wheel turnaround time

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe
I just got back from 1,700 miles in Mexico. While there, I pulled a spoke nipple through the front rim, and then cracked it in another location.

My VIN is on the list, but with the problems I have had with DID KTM wheels in the past (three front wheels that I have broken), I think it's time for me to get a better quality wheel, heavier guage spokes and probably most importantly - oversized nipples.

Woody - how quick can you turn around a front wheel? I'll need it in less than two weeks.
hi i´m in germany will return 31st,,but my guys should be able to turn around a wheel in a day or two if the parts are in,,,have a pretty good supply of that stuff,,call em toll free at 866-936-0232....prices etc are www.woodyswheelworks.com holler and someone will help you,,,sorry i haven´t gotten to a internet access til now,,,wooody
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 05:58 PM   #73
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

oversized nipples ,,,cracked rims,,etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4 Pilot
GP, the rim is supposedly an Excel that they replace it with. Dunno yet about oversize nipples and heavier gauge spokes, but I'm guessing the wheel will be much better than the stck DID.

It's unlikely that you'll get it replaced under the recall within two weeks though.
folks ktm will not put oversized nipples in your wheel ,,,i can guarantee you that ,,,the excel rims will be punched to oem specs to match the lace pattern and spoke nipple size of your oem DIDs,,,,what you get is a better alloy rim that should be far superior to the DID you have

i have no idea who is in charge of sourcing and or specing out rims and spokes at KTM,,,because they have not got their act together in that department,,,,we rebuild more KTM wheels that come in batches of problems,,,you LC-4 riders are not alone,,,,950 adventures with certain series BEHR rims would turn to pretzels in no time,,,,alot of exc rear wheels blasted apart with broken spokes,,,then they had 18´´ DID rear rims crack at the nipples just like yours and coincidentally every 21 DID honda dirt bike rim vintage ´84 or so,,,or alll the DID 17 and 14 kawasaki 80 cc dirt bike wheels cracked at the nipples just lik yours!!!!

point is,,,someone is specing an alloy from the factory and ordering it from DID ,,,SUN,,,Excel,,,Behr etc,,,if its too soft or hi tensile you will suffer the consequences,,,,,it is amazing that i can order the standard speced rims sold by any of these manufacturers to the aftermarket and have had zero,,nara,,no,,,00000000,comebacks over the last 32 years,,,,it is just certain batches of wheels ,,,,spokes,,,and you poor toomer folk have had an unusually rough time of it,,,

am glad you have persisted,,,,and like i wrote in an earlier post,,,this last fiasco should be rectified on their dime,,,sounds like it will

of course if ya need to upgrade,,,i´m sure you´ll know where to go

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 10-26-2005 at 05:38 AM
Old 10-24-2005, 07:35 PM   #74
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works
folks ktm will not put oversized nipples in your wheel ,,,i can guarantee you that ,,,the excel rims will be punched to oem specs to match the lace pattern and spoke nipple size of your oem DIDs,,,,what you get is a better alloy rim that should be far superior to the DID you have

i have no idea who is in charge of sourcing and or specing out rims and spokes at KTM,,,because they have not got their act together in that department,,,,we rebuild more KTM wheels that come in batches of problems,,,you LC-4 riders are not alone,,,,950 adventures with certain series BEHR rims would turn to pretzels in no time,,,,alot of exc rear wheels blasted apart with broken sokes,,,then they had 18´´ DID rear rims crack at the nipples just like yours and coincidentally every 21 DID honda dirt bike rim vintage ´84 or so,,,or alll the DID 17 and 14 kawasaki 80 cc dirt bike wheels cracked at the nipples
FYI I don't know about the replacement KTM nipples, but smaller is sexier

lacing pattern note addressing your comment below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM recall notice
Initial Information:
During production it has occurred that front wheels have been manufactured on tolerance limits.
On the 640 Adventure model – with its high admissible overall weight and the high brake forces on the large 320 mm disc brake - an unfavourable overlap of these tolerance limits (tightening torque of spoke nipples, torsion angle between rim and hub…) in combination with inadequate maintenance can result in an increased stress of single spokes and therefore in their reduced lifetime.
For this reason the currently mounted front wheel is to be replaced by a new wheel with a modified hub (new spoke-bore drilling layout).
The front wheel is to be replaced as a whole.

Old 10-25-2005, 11:47 AM   #75
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

esoteric excuses and lil nipples

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
FYI I don't know about the replacement KTM nipples, but smaller is sexier

lacing pattern note addressing your comment below:
meat popsicle,,,you will still be given a x2 lace pattern,,,when a x3 would be more optimal,,,go to www.woodyswheelworks.com ,,,look up SUPERLACE and you´ll get an idea of why mine won´t fall apart,,,i can guarantee you if you give me your oem wheel assembly ,,,the one with the cracked in the nipple area DID rim,,,i will relace ie SUPERLACE it to the rim of your choice and that will be the end of that,,,with the blah blah blah above named sad story hub as the core of the new wheel....AND guarantee it for a year against comming apart,,,

BTW,,,folks,,PLEASE do not ask me to warranty the rim against bending if you hit big chuck holes n rocks,,,there are no rims i know off that will not bend if hit just right,,,there are some stonger than others as we have seen,,,

BTW,,,RAD mfg has a new line of tough rims that they will warranty for a year AGAINST BENDING!!!!,,,a ''no questions asked policy'',,,unfortunately they only come in 1.6 x21 and 1.85 \2.15 18'' and 19'' for MXers..this is a recent development so the jury is still out

regarding the nipple issue,,,i realize you like lil ones,,,i've heard that from you before,,,,,,but we´re not talking of what ya like to suckle on,,,we´re talking of what works from giving ya repeated headaches on your toomer or any other hi performance machine....were you in my shop i´d give ya the one minute show n tell for you to get why i like big nips on super sturdy wheels,,,

here goes... i ask you what do you like better ,,,this,,, as i put a hundred pounds of pressure on your chest with my forefinger,,,OR this as i put the same hundred pounds with the palm of my hand....voila!!! if your'e a sensitive kind a guy you invariably opt for the latter,,,so does your rim and hub,,they like larger surface areas to handle the large loads these adventure bikes place on em ,,,

now how do i know that????,,because at night the little rim fairies communicate with me and let me know that they love big nips,,,like me

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 10-26-2005 at 05:53 AM