ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2014, 02:58 PM   #16
Yellow Pig OP
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerat View Post
Sweet bike!

What does that setup cost, if ya don't mind me asking
Lots.

Besides the bike there is the fairing, the tanks, the suspension, the LED lighting and a few man hours to get it all put together and wired up.

http://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk/...0-Enduro-R-SMC
Old 08-04-2014, 05:34 PM   #17
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
Lots.

Besides the bike there is the fairing, the tanks, the suspension, the LED lighting and a few man hours to get it all put together and wired up.

http://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk/...0-Enduro-R-SMC

nice job. i always like the 690 with the rally set up....

there are couple of local inmates here who just installed the basel kit....i will be afraid to ask how much....

once the weather cools down, there will be a bunch of local riders riding the mojave area and high desert.

to get some good practice rides, try johnson valley.

if you want something mellow...you know where to find me...
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:03 PM   #18
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
You do realize that is just a 690 right? I rode LA-B-LV on a 690 and took the "hard" routes with no trouble.
LA-B-V is very long but not particularly hard compared to most 1-day rides. Basically all the 600s and up are too heavy and will wear out the average rider. I think most promoters would recommend take the Easy or Adv ways unless you are a true expert. For my Topaz 600 ride, Hi Desert 250, China Lake, etc very few average riders will finish them on a >600 bike.

I would imagine that any one on a >600 that does all hard ways on the Big Bear ride would get a Gold Plack.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:06 PM   #19
Yellow Pig OP
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,172
NSFW

I'll definitely take you up on some riding to get to know the area. Once we finish getting settled in and the kids are back in school I'll have more riding time available.

Thanks, Dan
Old 08-04-2014, 07:20 PM   #20
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,788
I've done it 14 times now, 10 on a KLR 650, once on an XR650R (I broke my leg a few weeks before the ride and wanted to cheat ), and 3 times on a Husky 610.
Planning on doing it again this year on the Husky.

It's long and there's a lot of sand, but I don't think that your 690 will have any problems.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:08 PM   #21
dirt hokie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 620
my first time

East coast guy here, some ridding buddies and my self will be going for the first time this year. I will be on a xr 400, a couple of Drz 400 and a exc 500.

What kind of gas range do we need. I am only good for about 80 miles on a stick tank. I have to decide if i need to get a bigger tank or just carry a few quarts of spare gas.
dirt hokie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:31 PM   #22
dunerat
WTF?

Oddometer: 14,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
I've done it 14 times now, 10 on a KLR 650, once on an XR650R (I broke my leg a few weeks before the ride and wanted to cheat ), and 3 times on a Husky 610.
Planning on doing it again this year on the Husky.

It's long and there's a lot of sand, but I don't think that your 690 will have any problems.
+1 rides more fun than tough
Old 08-04-2014, 08:32 PM   #23
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt hokie View Post
East coast guy here, some ridding buddies and my self will be going for the first time this year. I will be on a xr 400, a couple of Drz 400 and a exc 500.

What kind of gas range do we need. I am only good for about 80 miles on a stick tank. I have to decide if i need to get a bigger tank or just carry a few quarts of spare gas.
The D37 folks will post the required range up in the ride info. You should figure 120-130 miles range though. And some of that's going to be sand riding, not crusing 55 on the highway.

http://www.blackswanmoto.com
MJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:06 PM   #24
YellowjacketD37
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
East Coast guy here, some riding buddies and I will be going for the first time this year. I will be on an XR400, a couple of DRZ400s and a 500EXC.

What kind of gas range do we need? I am only good for about 80 miles on a stock tank. I have to decide if i need to get a bigger tank or just carry a few quarts of spare gas.
Your 80 mile range should be fine. I was on the LA-B-to-V committee for years and was the person who wrote the riders' instructions, so I remember the gas ranges. In fact, I still have all that info in my computer.

If you take the hard ways, the gas ranges are usually longer. Some years they are over 100 miles, like 115 miles. Might be 90 miles. But the easy routes usually aren't longer than 80 miles. If they are 85, take a Gatorade bottle or two and carry them in your back pack. MJS is correct that a lot of the miles are sand miles, though, and will use up your gas faster than hard-packed dirt. You'll also use it up if you get lost. And if you only use the roll chart and don't have a GPS, you might get lost.

You usually don't find out the final mileage until right before the event, sometimes the morning of the event because the BLM sometimes changes their minds about the route at the last minute, so that makes things tough on planning. But that's just the way it is. When you pre-register for LA-B-to-V, you'll receive info like riders instructions before everyone else, like a few weeks before the event.

Hope that helps.

YellowjacketD37 screwed with this post 08-04-2014 at 10:13 PM
YellowjacketD37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:59 AM   #25
CA Stu
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerat View Post
+1 rides more fun than tough
Kingston Wash is a long slog through deep sand, and there is about a half mile section at the start of the climb into Red Rock that can be kinda rocky (), but I agree.
If you search Youtube for "LA Barstow Vegas Red Rock" you'll see plenty of video.

Got bonus points a couple of years for snow and ice in Red Rock.

2013:

Get started early and don't dawdle, it's an epic ride.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:53 PM   #26
dirt hokie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 620
we will be doing the hard ways for sure, I might have to think about a bigger tank, then. The only thing that has me concerned is gas range. Does the role chart suck, or is it that a GPS is that much easier. I prefer maps to GPS, GPS has steered me wrong to many times. I like to know where I am going before I leave. Even if I get lost, that way I at least know what direction I should be heading.

We will probably have one gps in our group.

I already pre registered, so will await any emails.

thanks
dirt hokie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:03 PM   #27
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,269
Quote:
Does the role chart suck, or is it that a GPS is that much easier. I prefer maps to GPS, GPS has steered me wrong to many times.
LA-B-V Roll Charts are great.

Using only maps, you could probably finish in a week or so.

I assume you had trouble with GPS when "Navagating"?

We don't do that on Dual Sport Rides, the promoter downloads Tracks and you just follow them, it does not "steer" you. If you go wrong, it is totally your fault.

Remember you are riding with 500 of your close friends. Just stay in the herd, if there is no dust and you can see, you are lost (unless it is snowing).
Old 08-06-2014, 03:50 PM   #28
CA Stu
Thanks

I've done it since before GPS tracks were handed out. If you can read a roll chart, it's easy as pie. Do you understand "HL MDR"?
(Hard left on maintained dirt road)
Each roll chart has the definitions of all the abbreviations at the start, it's an easy thing to pick up in a hurry.

Also, the route is marked with flagging tape / streamers on bushes before and after every critical turn to aid in heads up navigation.

The GPS tracks are bone simple to follow, too.

Even though there may be 500 riders on the course, there are multiple routes (Hard way / Regular / Adventure bike) and people get spread out pretty far.
You can pretty much always see a dust plume, however.
I always have a good set of goggles and a bandana to cover my mouth and nose.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:05 PM   #29
Motobrandt
Free Opinions Here

Oddometer: 630
Dan!

It was great meeting and riding with you the other day. I was the guy on the other big KTM. Thanks for helping dig out the center stand and get the thing turned around on my failed hill climb.

I'm hoping to get my 1200gs sold and replaced with a 500exc soon. I'd love to ride this. I'll try and follow you!
Old 08-20-2014, 05:15 PM   #30
MatttheHatt
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I'm in: reg'd and hotels reserved. Are the GPS directions a route or track?