ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2014, 11:25 AM   #1
wrk2surf OP
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,282
California Fire season 2014 Update Thread

Since I think maybe others can benifit that are planning trips to the mountains or just concerned about life, property and/or our riding areas. I thought I would start a catch all fire thread since it seems that I had been clogging up the Sierra thread with my updates of the French incident which was started by an illegal and left unattended camp fire it has now consumed near 12 THOUSAND acres and is threating the Whiskey Falls snowmobile/ Ohv riding area.
The other local fire to me is the El Portal fire near Yosemite Valley is nearing containment.
I have just read about the Lightning complex fire in the San Bernadino NF.

I sure hope these lightning storms in the next couple of days dont start a firestorm.

First up the go to site for fire info in ALL of the US.

http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/

http://yubanet.com/

There you can find daily updates on each fire with maps photos and news.

With the rainy season so far away and the forests like a tinder box this is getting very scary.
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .

wrk2surf screwed with this post 08-04-2014 at 06:47 PM
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:28 AM   #2
wrk2surf OP
on the gas or brakes

Aug 3rd French fire update

Incident Overview

Image options: [ Enlarge ] [ Full Size ]

The fire operation was completed on the southern end of the fire last night to secure containment lines down to the San Joaquin River. Direct fire line was also completed from Chiqito Creek to the 4S81 road on the northern perimeter. Fire crews are hoping to take advantage of cooler weather and higher humidity to construct direct fire line were possible on all open fire lines. Crews also continue to do structure defense in the Arnold Meadow area on the northern perimeter.
An investigation has concluded that an abandoned campfire near the Rock Creek Campground was the cause of the French Fire. The abandoned campfire was located towards the bottom of Rock Creek Road, near the San Joaquin River. Investigators are asking for the public’s help for information about anyone who was seen in the area of Rock Creek Road near the San Joaquin River during the afternoon or evening of Sunday July 27.
The French Fire will continue to produce large amounts of smoke, which has impacted local communities. Smoke is typically greater in the morning and evening hours. Plan outdoor activities for times and places with low smoke levels. Up-slope breezes occur during the day, which will often take smoke into higher elevations. In the evening, these winds change direction and bring smoke down slope to lower elevations. For more information about smoke impacts, please visit the San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Districts website at: http://valleyair.org/wildfires.htm

EvacuationsResidents living in the community of Arnold Meadow were notified to evacuate due to increased fire activity along the northern perimeter of the fire. Several summer homes in the Hogue Apple Ranch and Wagner’s Resort were evacuated earlier in the week. ClosuresA Forest Service Area Road and Trail Closure, Forest Order # 15-14-07, has been issued for the French Fire area. More information about the Forest Closure and the closure can be found at: http://tinyurl.com/o44cvyu .
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
Old 08-03-2014, 04:12 PM   #3
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 5,206
Great idea Mike!
Old 08-03-2014, 06:54 PM   #4
RocknTroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 767
Nice idea hope you don't mind me adding another link cause I'm more of a visual person http://www.fire.ca.gov/general/firemaps.php

"Stay smart. Don't put your stupid hat on at this point in time... " Gov. Pat McCrory
RocknTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:31 PM   #5
wrk2surf OP
on the gas or brakes

view from shuteye

vids I shot this afternoon..

Old 08-04-2014, 06:35 PM   #6
wrk2surf OP
on the gas or brakes

French Fire

19,000 acres

Whiskey is still there... the fire seems not to be burning the trees too bad and mostly underbrush is being incenerated.

Wrapping Historical Cabins at the Placer Guard Station on French Fire yesterday. Image: Sierra National Forest

One Less Spark - One Less Wildfire: A few helpful reminders and safety tips include:
Equipment Use
1. Equipment Use Safety
Never mow or trim dry grass on a Red Flag Warning Day. (Mow before 10 a.m. on a day when its not hot and windy).
Never use lawn mowers in dry vegetation.
Spark arresters are required in wildland areas on all portable gasoline powered equipment.
Campfire Safety
2. Campfire Safety
Before starting a campfire, make sure you have a campfire permit and that they are permitted on the land you are visiting.
Afterwards, ensure that your campfire is properly extinguished.
Defensible Space
3. Defensible Space
Residents should make sure they have 100 feet of defensible space around structures.
Clear dead weeds and vegetation.
Remove leaves and needles from gutters.
Trim branches 6 feet from the ground.
Vehicle
4. Vehicle
Never pull over in dry grass.
Ensure trailer chains don't drag on the ground.
Make sure your vehicle is properly maintained.
Have proper tire pressure to avoid driving on wheel rim.
Never let your brake pads wear too thin.
Other
5. Other
Make sure cigarette butts are properly extinguished.
Never burn landscape debris like leaves or branches on NO Burn Days or when it's windy or areas where not allowed.
Target shoot only in approved areas, use lead ammunition only, and never at metal targets.
Report any suspicious activities to prevent arson.

wrk2surf screwed with this post 08-04-2014 at 06:49 PM
Old 08-05-2014, 05:48 PM   #7
wrk2surf OP
on the gas or brakes

Old 08-05-2014, 06:07 PM   #8
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Whiskey is still there... the fire seems not to be burning the trees too bad and mostly underbrush is being incinerated.

Fire is good for the forest if it doesn't destroy the trees! Sierra National forest seems to be well managed, keeping the underbrush down is a good thing.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:11 PM   #9
TemeculaTim
Timeteo Viejo

Oddometer: 71
Thumb

Great thread idea-

Here is a site that gives the most current information on active and past fires by Areas. CA and HI are combined- then within each area fires are named by fire protection district and incident name. Easy once you understand it.

Here is a link to new incidents :

http://hotlist.wildlandfire.com/foru...nia-amp-Hawaii

Here is a link to continuing incidents for updates:

http://hotlist.wildlandfire.com/foru...ires-Incidents

Many of the posters are either active or retired Wildland Fire Fighters. I would visit the FAQ's ( link provided) first so you will understand the way the forum is set up and the purpose-

http://hotlist.wildlandfire.com/faq....q_wlf_specific

TT
TemeculaTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:36 PM   #10
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,022
valuable thread!

thanks mike for keeping it up to date.

my friends are heading to yosemite in 2 weeks and i'm passing the info here to them.

those are useful info on avoiding wildfire!
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:59 PM   #11
wrk2surf OP
on the gas or brakes

Returning to normal here.. no smoke and the French fire is 90% contained.. the trails around whiskey are safe. The El Portal fire is out as well so come on up and ride !!!!!!

Thanks firefighters good luck up north !
Old 08-09-2014, 08:28 PM   #12
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
Returning to normal here.. no smoke and the French fire is 90% contained.. the trails around whiskey are safe. The El Portal fire is out as well so come on up and ride !!!!!!

Thanks firefighters good luck up north !

great to hear.

yes, thanks to the firefighters and volunteers.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:16 AM   #13
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,795
>"Thanks firefighters good luck up north !"

Red Flag warning for most of Northern Calif and Orygun today.
Supposed to be dry lightning (tonight) over the entire region.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:02 AM   #14
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Any updates on the Oakhurst fife?
Old 08-19-2014, 07:06 PM   #15
wrk2surf OP
on the gas or brakes

mop up .. after a dc 10 bombing of retardant last night knocked it out..

wrk2surf screwed with this post 08-20-2014 at 10:09 AM