ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2014, 08:46 PM   #1
MayorOfBBQ OP
Come at me bro

Oddometer: 266
Pissed Robbed just off the parkway~ NC215 Haywood County

Well, it was my own damn fault..

The girl and I pulled off on 215 for a little dip in the water.

This is heading North off the parkway toward Canton.

We stopped at the first stone bridge.. it's just a couple miles from the parkway.

35.329977, -82.908008

We grabbed out suits and water & apples from the topcase.. I took off my shoes and put on my Chacos.

There wasn't enough room in the topcase for my Rev'it mesh jacket...
I forgot my helmet lock.. but our helmets are crappy anyway.. nothing special. My big ass sz 13 shoes were too dirty to shove in the topcase so I left them by the bike.

We took off into the woods.. changed into swimsuits.. Hiked up the stream for a while.. there is a decent little 'sit-down-deep' hole and nice big rocks for sunning up where the river makes it's first hard turn above the bridge.

We stayed & splashed and stacked rocks for maybe an hour or so..

When we came back to the bike.. we saw that someone had taken my shoes? wtf?? oh, and my mesh jacket!.. Holy shit! the helmets are gone as well!

This was not some nice flash stuff

1. My Helmet: Sure it's a Shoei Multitech.. but it's old guy safety yellow.. and has the entire left side road rashed up from a recent spill.. The visor is scratched to shit as well. Has a big Ben's Tune-Up sticker on the back and also an I Voted Early sticker

2. Her helmet.. and older Shoei FF, tomato red. Probably early 2000's or late 90's.. BEAT TO HELL. looked like it's been dropped & rolled across every parking lot from here to NYC.. Huge scuff marks all over one side (was transporting it on pillion seat and it slipped out of the net~ hung & rubbed against the side of the tire 5mi from my house to hers)

3. Rev'it mesh jacket.. not an expensive piece to begin with.. But this one had just come back from being stitched back together from the aforementioned spill... It had frankenstitching & patches all over it.. frayed everywhere and raggedy as hell.

4. My shoes: Brown leather 3/4 hightop K-Swiss sneakers size 13.. Not new but not old.. had my sweaty socks stuffed in them

I was shocked it was stolen. Frackin sucks

No cell service up there.. so we rode down all the way to the soda shop at 276/210/215 to call the auto club.

That was an annoying 14mi of every third person we saw telling us "Hey, you have to wear a helmet in NC". No shit buddy.

Had a rollback come tow the bike and us all the way back to west Asheville. At least Allstate picked up the $100 towing tab.

Called Haywood sheriff and made a report.. not that I will file for insurance or ever see that stuff again...

As I was coming down the mountain, I saw the bastards had thrown my sweaty socks out of the window.. they were in the middle of the road.

Fuck thieves.

"Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski" -Wu
MayorOfBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:04 AM   #2
wjfawb0
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Sorry to hear that. There is nothing worse than a thief. It makes me wonder if they didn't do it just to aggravate you and not for any value or use. Summer break is ending for a lot of kids, so they have to get their vandalizing and mischief out of the way before school starts. They're bored.
wjfawb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:20 AM   #3
majorpayne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Sucks to hear. Unfortunately I know that area (and most of WNC) well....and the more remote it is, the easier it is for the bastards to get away with it.

I had my fishing gear taken out of the back of my truck when I walked back to a stream to get my brother. There was no one around and I was gone for 3 minutes.

Heres to hoping crotch crickets and nosebleeds on them for the rest of their miserable existence(s).
majorpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:29 AM   #4
backroadbob.com
Roads Scholar

Oddometer: 216
Sweet No More

I've been riding NC215 for twenty years and I never had any trouble when I stopped to sit by the stream. It's one of my personal Top 10 roads in the country with a spectacular overlook at the top. I know right where you were. That's a tricky bit by the bridge on the curve and the stream was always nice to look at on the way down and it was always cool on a hot day. This spoils it now.
New Motorcycle Adventure Website <www.backroadbob.com> Featuring a Four-Decade Distillation of Motorcycling in 38 American States, Five Canadian Provinces, Five National Forests, Ten Pennsylvania State Forests, and Eight Foreign Countries.http://www.backroadbob.com
backroadbob.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:31 AM   #5
Bollocks
Farts with an Accent™

Oddometer: 5,046
Sounds like ya needed new lids, still sucks.
I know of two friends that have left there cars at the end of the trail to only find all the windows smashed in and stuff gone.
Do not park up here with one of these....

The Self-Preservation Society
BMW F800R Grin factor 10
08 Triumph 1050 Toight like a Toiger RIP
Bollocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:58 AM   #6
SidewinderX
Hey, watch this!

Oddometer: 1,140
I hate a thief.

I parked my GSA in a Lowes Home Improvement parking lot while I ran in for a chisel. Wasnt in there 5 minutes so I left my gloves across my dash and helmet on my mirror.

They stole my gloves but not my Shoei Qwest....

Worst part was that it was @40 degrees that morning and I was 25 miles from home. I was so pissed that I didnt even think about getting work gloves until I was halfway home.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:55 AM   #7
MayorOfBBQ OP
Come at me bro

Thanks guys

I was mostly just shocked.. Most of the people you meet up there are so nice.. So much for like-minded strangers enjoying the outdoors :-(

Old 08-05-2014, 08:55 AM   #8
MayorOfBBQ OP
Come at me bro

Wow lots of PM's & offers of free used gear! Not what I was looking for or expecting but THANK YOU

Lots or really great folks here!

Old 08-06-2014, 12:13 PM   #9
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,578
not to far from your spot is BLUE RIDGE MC CAMPGROUND. I pulled in, left my coat and helmet on my bike seat while talking with Phil (the owner) and paying for a spot. In those 5 minutes in broad daylight, someone stole my leather jacket.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:48 PM   #10
Laconic
Añejo

Oddometer: 16,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
not to far from your spot is BLUE RIDGE MC CAMPGROUND. I pulled in, left my coat and helmet on my bike seat while talking with Phil (the owner) and paying for a spot. In those 5 minutes in broad daylight, someone stole my leather jacket.
Right there where you check in?
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:10 PM   #11
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,210
Quote:
wtf???

now that is really low.

but I hear ya, when I go for hikes and have to leave the car (pooch mobile) at secluded areas I always get nervous. Knock on wood so far, but I also never leave any bags that look interesting inside.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:12 PM   #12
SidewinderX
Hey, watch this!

Oddometer: 1,140
Quote:
Wow- at a MC campground nonetheless..... Wow.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:57 AM   #13
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,578
yes...a motorcycle rider, in a motorcycle campground stole and very old and very ugly motorcycle jacket in one of the best motorcycle campgrounds around. But to top that one, i was camped at Willville with no more than 5 other campers. this guy comes over and wants to use the cigar plug on my bike to inflate his air matress. the next day early, i pack up and ride my gps quits after 2 hours. I assumed it wore out. When i get home a few days later, i find that the GPS plug was missing the tiny fuse. the plug has to be dissassembled to remove the fuse. so people, it seems fellow riders have not heard of karma. why would you think gear left unattended would be safe out in the middle of no where?
Old 08-08-2014, 07:43 PM   #14
Blue Ridge Wheeltor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfawb0 View Post
Sorry to hear that. There is nothing worse than a thief. It makes me wonder if they didn't do it just to aggravate you and not for any value or use. Summer break is ending for a lot of kids, so they have to get their vandalizing and mischief out of the way before school starts. They're bored.

South on 215 takes you to Rosman. White trash and meth heads abound.
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville
Blue Ridge Wheeltor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:04 AM   #15
speednut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Sorry to hear about that.
speednut is offline   Reply With Quote