ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2014, 09:55 AM   #1
Swashbuckler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Looking for a new career in the slopes of CO

I finish my undergrad at CSU on friday and am looking at relocating into the mountains. I would really like to move anywhere from Silverthorne to Glenwood Springs, or down south to Durango. I have a lot of diverse experience as I served as a heavy gunner in the Air Force and have been doing overseas police contracting on and off since 2007. In-between contracts I spent 2 years contracting for Comcast as a sales technician while I was attending RRCC full-time. I've spent the last year finishing up at CSU with an BS in Psychology, but mainly focused on organizational psychology (pscyh of the workplace). I'm looking for a new career, but I have nothing specific set in mind. I have no issues with starting at an entry level position as long as there are opportunities for advancement. I might also add that the position must provide enough compensation to live comfortably.

If you know of any open positions please get a hold of me and I'll send my cover letter and resume.

Thanks

Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2004 CRF450R - Supermoto / 2007 GSXR 750 / 1991 Yamaha XJ600 Secca II
Swashbuckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:36 PM   #2
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,141
Your situation sounds very much like my own in 1992, with the exception of the graduation part: CSU to points west to make some money.

Got any construction experience? I went into restaurant work, but if I had it do over, I'd bang nails. The pay is pretty good, and the demand always seems to be strong in ski towns.

Just a thought.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:25 PM   #3
Sig_Sour
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
There are two gravy trains running through CO right now. Both are smelly and controversial. Neither may be your thing but maybe money is.
Sig_Sour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:52 AM   #4
Swashbuckler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I've considered both of those options. I know there is good money in construction, but I would rather not be forced to spend my days out in the weather any more. I also have no problems with the current marijuana businesses, but I think the money coming from the business is only a phase.

Thanks for the responses!

Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2004 CRF450R - Supermoto / 2007 GSXR 750 / 1991 Yamaha XJ600 Secca II
Old 08-05-2014, 11:11 AM   #5
mjskier
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
Haha!
I was scratching my head trying to come up with the 2 gravy trains and didn't think about the MJ business. The other one has to be fracking related.
mjskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:57 PM   #6
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post
I've considered both of those options. I know there is good money in construction, but I would rather not be forced to spend my days out in the weather any more. I also have no problems with the current marijuana businesses, but I think the money coming from the business is only a phase.

Trim carpentry is where it's at in winter.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:50 AM   #7
Swashbuckler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok well it doesn't look like I'm getting much help with the career aspect of this move so maybe there are some people that can give me some info about the costs of living and general info about some areas?

I think I want to move to the Frisco/Silverthorne area because I think it's the central hub of all places mountain related. I've also applyed for a few jobs in Glennwood Springs. Are there any benefits of living in one of these places over the other?

I do snowboard a lot. I'm single and don't have any intentions on staying that way . I HATE traffic and people who are incapable of driving. I enjoy being able to get on my mtn bike and riding it from my place to trails. I also enjoy doing the same on my motorcycle without having to spend an hour getting to trails.

How much money does it take to live up in that area comfortably? I plan on having a small apartment for the initial move. I would prefer a garage. Are groceries, gas, and other living expenses more expensive up there?

I'd be grateful for any help you can provide!

Old 08-09-2014, 05:54 PM   #8
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,292
Won't be long and places like steamboat will be interviewing seasonal help. It's always easier to find a job in a community once you're already living there. Spend a winter on the slopes with a resort and find something while you're there.
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:00 AM   #9
Swashbuckler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
Won't be long and places like steamboat will be interviewing seasonal help. It's always easier to find a job in a community once you're already living there. Spend a winter on the slopes with a resort and find something while you're there.
I have considered working for one of the resorts, but I have friends who do, or have done that, and I don't know if making minimum wage and sleeping with 7 other people in a 3 bedroom house while having a second job is the career change I'm looking for. Maybe if I was 21 again.

I have found quite a few positions in the Frisco to Glenwood area that pay a decent starting salary of ($40-50k a year). I'm just unsure if that would be enough to have fun up there, or just get by.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:19 PM   #10
neepuk
Such a drag...

Oddometer: 1,539
Quote:
I have considered working for one of the resorts, but I have friends who do, or have done that, and I don't know if making minimum wage and sleeping with 7 other people in a 3 bedroom house while having a second job is the career change I'm looking for. Maybe if I was 21 again.

I have found quite a few positions in the Frisco to Glenwood area that pay a decent starting salary of ($40-50k a year). I'm just unsure if that would be enough to have fun up there, or just get by.
In the Glenwood area that would be pretty decent money to live a fun and simple life. Summit County is considerably more expensive, and you hate traffic so Summit County will drive you crazy.
neepuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:54 PM   #11
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,292
Quote:

Some people start by sweeping floors and emptying trash. Others have even taken unpayed internships to launch a career.
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:50 AM   #12
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,551
Quote:

I wouldn't get directly involved in the MMJ business (handling crops or product) if you ever want to go back into the DoD/Security world; BUT If I were the entrepreneurial type I'd start up some kind of business to support the MMJ industry. Transporting all that cash around for them, selling supplies, training, the list is endless.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:54 AM   #13
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 2,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
I wouldn't get directly involved in the MMJ business (handling crops or product) if you ever want to go back into the DoD/Security world; BUT If I were the entrepreneurial type I'd start up some kind of business to support the MMJ industry. Transporting all that cash around for them, selling supplies, training, the list is endless.
Just open a buffet with a chill, lounge type atmosphere next to a big dispensary. Have a smoking area in a back area. Should make a killing!

As far as resort type jobs, it is about getting your foot in the door. Your first job won't be your long term one, it just gets you networking and learning the area. Construction and real estate are really picking up, look into work in those areas if you don't want oil/gas or MMJ. I am an evolved ski bum, managed ski shops for a long time, but have been in property management for about 8 years now. It is not what I pictured myself doing, but it pays the bills ok and allows me to live in paradise. I don't really have a large skillset, but reliability and honesty go a long way in resort cultures where half of the workforce seems to be a bunch of Peter Pans.

Good luck on your search!
Old 08-12-2014, 01:19 PM   #14
Oldwin1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,616
Paging JJustJ to the white courtesy phone.

J lives in Dillon and can give you a good idea of what the cost is like in that area.
My significant other is living in Durango for the summer and was shocked at how expensive it is. That is something considering we live in Boulder county. You would not expect Walmart to be considerably more expensive there but it is.
Ron
Old 08-12-2014, 02:49 PM   #15
DirtyDR
Dana

Oddometer: 2,354
http://jobs.vailresorts.com/

PM me if you like, it's not just minimum wage jobs.
99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592860

http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

Proud Member of the Patrol Patrol
DirtyDR is offline   Reply With Quote