ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2014, 06:48 PM   #1
go2cnavy OP
Studly Adventurer
 
go2cnavy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Newport, RI
Oddometer: 504
Top 10 Adventure Bikes for New Adventure Riders

Top 10 Adventure Bikes for New Adventure Riders

A good resource for a very commonly questions. Cover the following bikes:

Order = Street Oriented - - - - - -> Dirt Oriented

1. Kawasaki Versys
2. Suzuki V-Strom 650
3. BMW G650GS
4. BMW Sertγo
5. Kawasaki KLR650
6. Husqvarna TR650 Terra
7. KTM 640 Adventure
8. Suzuki DR650SE
9. Honda XR650L
10. Suzuki DR-Z400S

Additional Resources for New Adventure Riders:
• Choosing the Best Adventure Motorcycle for New ADV Riders
• Dual Sport or Adventure Bike — Which is best for you?
• Adventure Bike Selector Tool for New Adventure Riders
• Top 10 Adventure Motorcycles for Short Riders
__________________
╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮

990A / 450 EXC R/ 250 EXC/ 450R - for sale
go2cnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:50 PM   #2
go2cnavy OP
Studly Adventurer
 
go2cnavy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Newport, RI
Oddometer: 504
I took the quiz and got tagged with a Triumph Tiger 800XC.

At least it didn't stick me with a BMW
__________________
╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮

990A / 450 EXC R/ 250 EXC/ 450R - for sale
go2cnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:56 PM   #3
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, AR
Oddometer: 6,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by go2cnavy View Post
I took the quiz and got tagged with a Triumph Tiger 800XC.

At least it didn't stick me with a BMW
So you have enough money to keep a Triumph running, but not enough for the maintenance costs on a BMW?
__________________

Doesn't expecting the unexpected make the unexpected expected?
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:13 PM   #4
Human Ills
Useful Idiom
 
Human Ills's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: South (Dog help me) Bay
Oddometer: 22,593
Taking the quiz seems to be a subscription feature of that competing website
__________________
that guy is in for an awakening from people who will ride all dammed day for a sandwich-eatpasta
Human Ills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:34 PM   #5
Hesaid
Studly Adventurer
 
Hesaid's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Central CA
Oddometer: 975
I was able to take the quiz without signing up for anything. It wasn't much of a quiz though...

MV
__________________
DR Feelgood , Tipsy Wombat, Pinkfoot, FatCat, and how they got their names: What the hell is a wombat? And now, the tales of their adventures.
Hesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:36 PM   #6
bluestar
misfit
 
bluestar's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: N.E. Louisiana
Oddometer: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by go2cnavy View Post
I took the quiz and got tagged with a Triumph Tiger 800XC.

At least it didn't stick me with a BMW
It tagged me with the KLR. Does that mean I bought the right bike?
__________________
2008 Yamaha Road Star
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650

Two lane blacktop isn't a highway, it's an attitude.
bluestar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:48 PM   #7
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: The Badlands (of NJ)
Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by go2cnavy
A good resource for a very commonly questions. Cover the following bikes:...
Thanks for starting this thread. I was going to post a question on that topic as I am talking to prospective new adv-riders. You beat me to that.
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:01 PM   #8
The_Precious_Juice
Two pump chump
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Roanoke Valley, Virginia
Oddometer: 1,253
Ok top ten

Quote:
Originally Posted by go2cnavy View Post
Top 10 Adventure Bikes for New Adventure Riders

A good resource for a very commonly questions. Cover the following bikes:

Order = Street Oriented - - - - - -> Dirt Oriented

1. Kawasaki Versys
2. Suzuki V-Strom 650
3. BMW G650GS
4. BMW Sertγo
5. Kawasaki KLR650
6. Husqvarna TR650 Terra
7. KTM 640 Adventure
8. Suzuki DR650SE
9. Honda XR650L
10. Suzuki DR-Z400S

Additional Resources for New Adventure Riders:
• Choosing the Best Adventure Motorcycle for New ADV Riders
• Dual Sport or Adventure Bike — Which is best for you?
• Adventure Bike Selector Tool for New Adventure Riders
• Top 10 Adventure Motorcycles for Short Riders
FWIW
felt like the Sertao should switch with the KLR.

The KLR is not perfected.

17" tyres are on the Mighty DR.

Did not agree with the fuel ranges.

But, it it be a good read for someone new
__________________
2013 DR650se
USA Deep South ride report: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=948886
Northeast trip planning: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003227
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:37 AM   #9
Gundy
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Philly 'burbs
Oddometer: 859
Top 10 Adventure Bikes for New Adventure Riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Precious_Juice View Post
FWIW

felt like the Sertao should switch with the KLR.



The KLR is not perfected.



17" tyres are on the Mighty DR.



Did not agree with the fuel ranges.



But, it it be a good read for someone new

+1 the Sertao outdoes my 2009 KLR offroad. Lower center of gravity and a few pounds lighter. Better power etc. it's also better on-road....

Quiz nailed it....Sertao
__________________
'12 Sertao
'00 KDX220

'12 Tenere, '04 Tiger, '09 WRR, '06 DRZ, '06 TW, '01 250 EXC, '09 KLR

Gundy screwed with this post 08-05-2014 at 06:43 AM
Gundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:12 PM   #10
scfrank
I'm back - sort of.
 
scfrank's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Upstate SC
Oddometer: 7,531
A KTM 640 for a new rider? Hmmm...
__________________
"Have you guessed the riddle yet?" the Hatter said.

"No, I give it up." Alice replied. "What's the answer?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." Said the Hatter.

"Nor, I" said the March Hare.
scfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:01 PM   #11
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target
 
eatpasta's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Santa Barbara, Ca
Oddometer: 10,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestar View Post
It tagged me with the KLR. Does that mean I bought the right bike?
no, that just means the site thinks your a cheap-ass

__________________
We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
T. S. Eliot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:02 PM   #12
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target
 
eatpasta's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Santa Barbara, Ca
Oddometer: 10,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by scfrank View Post
A KTM 640 for a new rider? Hmmm...
better than a 950!

__________________
We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
T. S. Eliot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:05 PM   #13
bluestar
misfit
 
bluestar's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: N.E. Louisiana
Oddometer: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
no, that just means the site thinks your a cheap-ass

I'm not a cheap-ass, just poor.
__________________
2008 Yamaha Road Star
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650

Two lane blacktop isn't a highway, it's an attitude.
bluestar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:36 PM   #14
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target
 
eatpasta's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Santa Barbara, Ca
Oddometer: 10,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestar View Post
I'm not a cheap-ass, just poor.
well, there is a difference!

__________________
We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
T. S. Eliot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:33 PM   #15
RunningMoto
Adventurer
 
RunningMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Knoxville, TN
Oddometer: 33
I was matched with the Sertao-- which actually was my first choice. If only I was a bit taller.
__________________
----------------
2013 G650GS
Knoxville, TN
----------------
RunningMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014