Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2014, 09:08 AM   #16
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
This type of mine primarily goes after silver, with gold as a secondary extract. I've got no problem shredding this mines' procedures and lack of adherence to set guidelines, but "poo-pooing" the product they are mining is another misguided off the cuff tosser.
It's an open pit gold mine with some copper as a secondary product. They were warned 2 yrs ago by their own employees to reinforce the dam. All they did was make it taller without reinforcing the base with rocks. They then overfilled it even after several warnings from the provincial inspectors. (source CBC interview with mine employee)

Old 08-07-2014, 09:11 AM   #17
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
The extent of the damage really depends on the extent of the breach.

The ponds are used to allow the waste from the mines to settle to the bottom of the pond. If only the top third or top half of the pond was breached, the environmental damage may not be too bad. The wastes would have remained in the bottom of the pond. On the other hand, if it was a total breach, the damage may be around for generations. Here's hoping it was a minor breach.
Haven't you seen the photos and video on the news?? It was a total collapse of the dam. The whole pit is now empty except for some left over waste. You can kiss the salmon and other fish good bye for the next couple years at least.

Deuce screwed with this post 08-07-2014 at 09:19 AM
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:17 AM   #18
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
It's an open pit gold mine with some copper as a secondary product. They were warned 2 yrs ago by their own employees to reinforce the dam. All they did was make it taller without reinforcing the base with rocks. They then overfilled it even after several warnings from the provincial inspectors. (source CBC interview with mine employee)

I'm agreeing with you on the incompetence/guilty-ness of the mining company. I will reject your claim that gold is simply a vanity commodity. If so, then what about paper note with a simple government promise? Silver and copper, other commodities which first world modern society could not exist without.
Like I said, move it all to China. We'd feel warm all over about ourselves in the big city. Small town Canada might as well shutter the doors.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:20 AM   #19
edwin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
tragic event....
that said...i find some ppl funny, they say they aren't "enviromental"...ie, don't care about our human impact on the world.
then this event happens...now all can see how things can and will move through the 'enviroment'.
if you live on earth, you are enviromental.

i do hope things go as well as they can with this major spill. i hope the 'water' released was a good as drinking water as some from the company who owns it says.

peace
1974 honda cb 550 (R.i.P. vanessa)
edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:21 AM   #20
Kamloopsrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
A terrible situation. Should not have happened. But it did. Environmental guidelines were not adhered to. Assets of this mining company will have to be used to try to fix this mess, even if it means the end of this company.

Blaming this disaster on but one person, "Steve", is but another ideologically based attempt to throw stones at opposing political view, and most laughable at best, a head shaker at the very least, and shows how easy it is to throw fluff around.

This type of mine primarily goes after silver, with gold as a secondary extract. I've got no problem shredding this mines' procedures and lack of adherence to set guidelines, but "poo-pooing" the product they are mining is another misguided off the cuff tosser. Be aware that life without silver would mean no house appliances, no phones, no vehicles of any kind, and a return to pre industrial revolution living standards, where coal and tree burning are used for heat, horses for transport, and a winter of canned potatoes for food. .
I'm pretty sure he's not the only misguided off the cuff tosser on this one. To suggest that without silver we would "return to pre industrial revolution living standards" is laughable at best, a head shaker at the very least, and shows how easy it is to throw fluff around.
Kamloopsrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:25 PM   #21
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamloopsrider View Post
I'm pretty sure he's not the only misguided off the cuff tosser on this one. To suggest that without silver we would "return to pre industrial revolution living standards" is laughable at best, a head shaker at the very least, and shows how easy it is to throw fluff around.
You point out to me any electrically operated product that would work without an electrically conductive metal like silver, copper, gold, steel.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:15 PM   #22
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
Quote:
You point out to me any electrically operated product that would work without an electrically conductive metal like silver, copper, gold, steel.
Good luck convincing people that we all have some blood on our hands from this one or any energy sector project. Everyone will happily consume the products and reap the rewards from the province that the revenue stream provides but shit on it every chance they get. A society of NIMBY's

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:35 PM   #23
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,082
misguided off the cuff tosser? ........... I can only assume that you are referring to me.
have we met?

was the insult really necessary? if so, please elaborate.
yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:04 PM   #24
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamalama View Post
misguided off the cuff tosser? ........... I can only assume that you are referring to me.
have we met?

Don't let that idiot get to ya

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:56 PM   #25
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamalama View Post
have we met?

This "idiot" would not ever resort to name calling. Tosser was a flippant regard to the comment and the weak attempt to throw any subject into the ideology pot , not the person.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:07 PM   #26
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel View Post
Good luck convincing people that we all have some blood on our hands from this one or any energy sector project. Everyone will happily consume the products and reap the rewards from the province that the revenue stream provides but shit on it every chance they get. A society of NIMBY's
Truth and fact are always more difficult to deal with than "truthiness" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truthiness. As long as people get their imported kale and hummus brought in by a truck with a 20 litre 6 banger diesel, doesn't really matter where the fuel came from, the polyester for the clothes, the carbon black for their bicycle tires, the grease for their chain, the coal to melt the metal for their bicycle frame, the chrome for their water faucets, the silver for the mirror they look at in the morning, the coal to melt the silica for the glass they look through every moment of every day, etc, etc, etc,..... It all gets so predictable, and boring. If taking a bit of a name calling jab is the result, I'm fine with that.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:24 PM   #27
Kamloopsrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
You specifically said silver. I called you on it. You took an inmate to task for suggesting the Harper caused us to lose control of our waterways, then said
"Be aware that life without silver would mean no house appliances, no phones, no vehicles of any kind, and a return to pre industrial revolution living standards, where coal and tree burning are used for heat, horses for transport, and a winter of canned potatoes for food."
Your hyperbole undermines your argument.
Kamloopsrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:27 PM   #28
where2next?
Map guy

Oddometer: 193
the real impact of the breach may not be as bad as it seems right now. sediment is largely inert and not all metals simply absorb into fish as you might think. we excrete lots of stuff, so do fish. the other thing that plays in it's the river's favor is that the river flows lots of water which will dilute the concentration of the contaminants and move the contaminants out to sea. I would be worried about places like the river delta and any lakes that are between the dam and the ocean. I have no doubt that the water is "near drinking water quality" since Canadian drinking water guidelines don't cover a lot of things.

I'm not saying that this is great news or anything, just that it's a lot always as bad as it's protrayed in the media. remember: the people writing these stories no NOTHING about environmental chemistry and there is no data yet on critical aspects of this mess.
where2next? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:49 PM   #29
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamloopsrider View Post
You specifically said silver. I called you on it. You took an inmate to task for suggesting the Harper caused us to lose control of our waterways, then said
"Be aware that life without silver would mean no house appliances, no phones, no vehicles of any kind, and a return to pre industrial revolution living standards, where coal and tree burning are used for heat, horses for transport, and a winter of canned potatoes for food."
Your hyperbole undermines your argument.
Yeah, you got me all right, fair & square. LOL.
Now don't you and your bike have a field to go plough?
Old 08-07-2014, 06:34 PM   #30
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,449
Mount polley mine opened many years before the Harper government was elected (opened 1997 and probably approved 10 years before that). Why do people have to use a disaster like this to forward their political agenda?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote