Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2014, 07:45 PM   #31
Kamloopsrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
Yeah, you got me all right, fair & square. LOL.
Now don't you and your bike have a field to go plough?
As gracious in defeat as you are in victory. Sad little man
Kamloopsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:52 PM   #32
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamloopsrider View Post
As gracious in defeat as you are in victory. Sad little man
Lol. If this sad little victory is what you need to get through your day, I'm happy to help.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:52 PM   #33
where2next?
Map guy

Oddometer: 193
http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/news/story/1.2730042
where2next? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:54 PM   #34
where2next?
Map guy

Silver was below analytical detection limits in the water samples.....
Old 08-07-2014, 09:10 PM   #35
statsman
Weekend Warrior

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Haven't you seen the photos and video on the news?? It was a total collapse of the dam. The whole pit is now empty except for some left over waste. You can kiss the salmon and other fish good bye for the next couple years at least.
I have now yes.
It will take years for the valley to recover.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:56 PM   #36
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,885
I'm no mining chemist, but the last gold mine I worked on used a lot of arsenic and other nasty shit in their separation processes. This is a big deal.

Mining operations in a modern industrialised nation that lack effective environmental oversight, are no longer mining operations in a modern industrialised nation. Canada is reverting to the industrial stone age under this gov't. And this is how it's going to look.

This is where the rubber of poorly made legislative decisions meet the road.

News flash: Industry requires strict guidelines, regulations and environmental oversight if we want to continue living in this environment.

That isn't partisan sniping. That's just the way it is. And any clear thinking individual knows that.
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:47 PM   #37
CaribooBC
life is an adventure

Oddometer: 298
From Imperial Metals website:
Mount Polley Annual Production

Planned 2014 2013 2012
Copper - lbs 44.0 M 38,501,165 33,789,600
Gold - oz 47,000 45,823 52,236
Silver - oz 120,000 123,999 116,101

It is primarily a copper mine with a bit of gold and silver that ends up being the profit for the mining company.
Today's water test results don't mean squat. The water was sampled at Likely on Monday, just hours after the event. The majority of the debris hadn't made it to the test site. The true test will be time, the real problem is how to keep the slurry/debris that lines Hazeltine Creek from entering Quesnel Lake and what will the long term effects of the chemicals and heavy metals in the slurry be. I wouldn't want to be using the water from Quesnel Lake on a long term basis and having these toxins accumulate in my body. This disaster has now given me second thoughts about my own well, what am I drinking on a daily basis and how will it affect me over time. Now to find someone to do a full test of my well water for contaminates :(
Old 08-07-2014, 11:25 PM   #38
WetCoastBC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
sad times

Quote:
Originally Posted by where2next? View Post
the real impact of the breach may not be as bad as it seems right now. sediment is largely inert and not all metals simply absorb into fish as you might think. we excrete lots of stuff, so do fish. the other thing that plays in it's the river's favor is that the river flows lots of water which will dilute the concentration of the contaminants and move the contaminants out to sea. I would be worried about places like the river delta and any lakes that are between the dam and the ocean. I have no doubt that the water is "near drinking water quality" since Canadian drinking water guidelines don't cover a lot of things.

I'm not saying that this is great news or anything, just that it's a lot always as bad as it's protrayed in the media. remember: the people writing these stories no NOTHING about environmental chemistry and there is no data yet on critical aspects of this mess.
i agree with some of things you've written but when you say "not all metals simply absorb into fish" I'm wondering where you've gotten your information. I would imagine since this is a working mine and the purpose of the mine is to capture three main metals copper gold and silver I don't think these metals would be part of the tailings or waste material. What is worrying is the toxic chemicals released during the crushing and milling to separate those metals, as well as the chemicals other than those in the rocks that are used in the process of separation. These chemicals directly bond to the protein in fish and since many of us have either caught and/or eaten fish we can see fish are mostly protein. This is why there is warnings about mercury in tuna. Mercury by the way is one of the materials found in the Mount Polley tailings pond. What a mess!
Old 08-07-2014, 11:33 PM   #39
WetCoastBC
Adventurer

Italy

In Italy there would have been arrests of the main principals of this mine as well as those who have engineered and those supposedly maintaining the tailings pond dam. To think the government is going to have the company do its own environmental assessment and to provide the government with details of what was released. Now wouldn't you think the government should be doing this to ensure there is an independent and full assessment and examination of what happened? You don't ask an airline company to oversee an investigation when one of its planes crash. It really is getting to be a mad mad mad mad world.

Expect another white wash.

And if anyone is interested take a look at this year's BC government budget where it is giving back to the mining companies the royalties they pay for the extraction of the "crowns" property in a program called royalty tax credits. They've been doing the same with the natural gas companies operating in BC for a decade and have given back more than $1.9 billion in tax credits and reduced their corporate taxes by more than 30%! I wonder how many millions Imperial Metals has received back in tax credits from the people's treasury? And to top it all off, Canada has the 8th lowest corporate tax rate in the world (developed and developing). So when you hear these #@!$% cry the blues about taxes you know who's going to have to make up the difference. I am often amazed at how we love to be governed. This trait has helped to give us some of the most unscrupulous lying bunch of politicians a so called democracy can have. Time to end this and look for the best people in your ridings to represent you. Don't let the small number of citizens who actually belong to political parties decide for you. End the madness!

WetCoastBC screwed with this post 08-07-2014 at 11:39 PM
WetCoastBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:43 PM   #40
WetCoastBC
Adventurer

Off my soap box

Cumberland (on Vancouver Island) Motorcycle Roundup August 9-10th. Last year there were 600 riders there. It would be nice to see a good number of non-cruisers there. Cheers all! And despite the dam failure, its damn hot in BC this summer and the only relief is getting on the moto and riding. What a summer!
Old 08-08-2014, 07:43 AM   #41
devildogg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
Mount Polley mine tailings spill: Imperial Metals could face $1M fine

CBC Headline.

wow a million bucks. I guess some politco or bureaucrat picks a number like this because it sounds like a shit load of money to a working guy.

I'll bet Imperial Metals management and accountants are raising a glass to this BS.

and who do you think will pay for most of the cleanup
THey were fined a million dollars they are still resposnsible for the clean up witch I am going to guess will bankrupt Imperial Metals

devildogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:45 AM   #42
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,496
I couldn't help but notice how the government cleverly waited until after the closing of the TSX to release the water testing results.

Sure enough III is up over 8% this morning.

I feel quite confident no one in the government took advantage of the info to partake in any insider trading

PS I can't find any info on where or at what location the samples were taken so who knows what they mean in the real world
Old 08-08-2014, 12:00 PM   #43
where2next?
Map guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
I couldn't help but notice how the government cleverly waited until after the closing of the TSX to release the water testing results.

Sure enough III is up over 8% this morning.

I feel quite confident no one in the government took advantage of the info to partake in any insider trading

PS I can't find any info on where or at what location the samples were taken so who knows what they mean in the real world
Samples were likely taken close to places people use or where water plants pull from. The people who deal with water quality are different from those that approve mines so I'm doubtful that there is some kind of cover up. But I'm sure there are some conspiracy theories out there to cloud the issue. Break out the tinfoil hats people....
Old 08-08-2014, 01:52 PM   #44
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by where2next? View Post
Samples were likely taken close to places people use or where water plants pull from. The people who deal with water quality are different from those that approve mines so I'm doubtful that there is some kind of cover up. But I'm sure there are some conspiracy theories out there to cloud the issue. Break out the tinfoil hats people....
I'm not suggesting a cover up but the time and location of the samples can make a difference to the results.

Releasing results after market close is standard practice for corporate news but I do find the timing of the government controlled water quality data release interesting.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:33 PM   #45
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,424
http://www.ec.gc.ca/inrp-npri/donnees-data/index.cfm?do=facility_substance_summary&lang=en&opt_npri_id=0000005102&opt_report_year=2013

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote