User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2014, 08:56 PM   #1
TRZ Charlie OP
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 15,376
Cheap Beer and Tender Loins - A ride along the river of life

This is our introduction to a ride forged by the love of the Mississippi River and a bank balance that clearly indicates that we "Stay home and eat Hot Dogs and Ramen."

Our ride was originally to take place out west starting in Atlantic City, Wyoming. But when we both took stock of our checkbooks it was a no brainer, with this kind of balance in the family checkbooks our ride out west wasn't in the cards this year.

Being the gnarly "gentleman" adventures we are, we decided that a new plan was needed. We needed to go somewhere, right? The plan had to be hatched with a totally new location, it had to be less ambitious in the terrain and distance traveled and first and foremost it had to be cheaper. As we discussed our possibilities it dawned on us that we both have lived in Iowa, we both miss the great tenderloin sandwiches we got in the small town cafes there and the banter with locals in those cafes. Jim suggested that he was thinking of going to Iowa. Iowa? Well, ok. So, I invited myself.

Going to Iowa of course was to morph into something entirely different.

Jim and I have been friends for a while now and we share a lot of commonalities in our taste for food, people, history, politics...well you get the idea. One of the things we share is a passion for the Muddy Mississippi River. Both of us have fond memories of playing and fishing on the river. Jim was raised in Burlington, Iowa along the river and I was raised in Florissant, Missouri about 10 minutes from the river. We both ached to revisit it. So, we started thinking we should ride up one side and down the other.

As we investigated what we might find along the river we discovered that there is a treasure trove of craft breweries, wineries, famous river food and some not so famous local diners that we could visit as we traversed through Missouri, Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois and back into Missouri and Arkansas.

So, we now have a plan. We have decided to ride for

"Cheap Beer and Tender Loins."

errmmmm I mean "Cheap Beer and Tenderloins."

&

We put together route sections that we were familiar with and also put new route portions that have the potential to be interesting, historical and yummy. We also decided to go up the west side of the river and back down on the east side. We will be angling from Fayetteville, Arkansas to Winfield, Missouri where we will first set eyes on the Mississippi. We will then travel north to La Crosse, Wisconsin.

The riders Jaidee (Jim) and TRZ Charlie (Charlie.) Jim will be riding his beautiful Dakar and I will be on my Husky TR650.

Our departure date is the 18th of August and we are going nuts waiting on it. We will be camping for 11 of our 14 nights on the road.

Day 1 of the trip will consist of two legs. Leg 1 will take us from Fayetteville, Arkansas to Nixa, Missouri with mix of tarmac, secondary roads and forest service roads. This will be our shakedown leg so we can insure the correct installation of luggage and get used to the heft of the bikes with additional weight. The entire route will be a mix state highways, two lane and gravel. We will avoid the Super Slab at all costs.

We will have lunch in Nixa and then move onto Leg 2 which take us from Nixa to Montauk State Park in Missouri for our first overnight on the road.

On we go, to the romance and allure of the river. The river of life and life on the river.

"Since time immemorial the Mississippi river has defined the identity of those who live, work and recreate along her banks and on her waters. She is at once eternal, fragile, inviting, menacing, ripe with promise, abiding disaster, constant but never the same. All embodied in this great River. These contradictions facinate, provoke, challenge and sustain. Those who come to know her well forever carry her mystery and her beauty deep within their souls." (Author unknown)

Stay tuned for more, we leave on the 18th. The route is posted in two sections due to ADV size limitations. First half of the route is posted below.The second half is located HERE

TRZ Charlie screwed with this post 10-31-2014 at 06:13 AM
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:59 PM   #2
yosso
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 969
Subscribed.

What time will you hit Nixa?
Old 08-06-2014, 09:02 PM   #3
TRZ Charlie OP
That's MR. Asshole

I'm just guessing at this point but likely between 11:30 and 12:30. Lunch with us?
Old 08-06-2014, 09:38 PM   #4
yosso
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 969
Just realized that the 18th is Monday.:-(
Old 08-06-2014, 09:43 PM   #5
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 16,507
Ive got some boots for tenderloins.......

or maybe not.

Cant wait to hear the adventure, but I think you might want to carry some final drives, and extra splines with that all that BMW yall are relying on.

Happy Holidays DrLewall !
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:11 PM   #6
BigKahunaBurger
They're Real Tasty

Oddometer: 51
Definitely looking forward to your report! I'm originally from Iowa and currently own a Terra. I certainly appreciate all your contributions to the Stupid Owners Thread
Old 08-06-2014, 10:29 PM   #7
TRZ Charlie OP
That's MR. Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahunaBurger View Post
Definitely looking forward to your report! I'm originally from Iowa and currently own a Terra. I certainly appreciate all your contributions to the Stupid Owners Thread
Well, I'm nothing if not stupid! Thanks for the encouragement though.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:43 PM   #8
TRZ Charlie OP
That's MR. Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post
Ive got some boots for tenderloins.......

or maybe not.

Cant wait to hear the adventure, but I think you might want to carry some final drives, and extra splines with that all that BMW yall are relying on.

I'm not relying on it...I ride a Husky. But Jim on the other hand..well...I just hope he doesn't break down because he is carrying the Cappuccino machine.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:32 AM   #9
Arkwhizzy
Arky by choice

Oddometer: 1,050
I miss those larruping good tenderloin sandwiches. Looking forward to your pics and report.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:28 AM   #10
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 10,267
No tender loins?
emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:48 AM   #11
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,652
In!!!
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:59 AM   #12
statsman
Weekend Warrior

Oddometer: 87
Great thing about the motorcycle. You can go on a road trip for 2 weeks with a tent, sleeping bag and rain gear. Have a great time, visit places you always wanted to see or re-visit old ones and it is only a minimal outlay of cash.

I went through Iowa in June. Visited Antique Archaeology in Le Claire (American Pickers on TV). Over to Anamosa to see the Motorcycle Museum and to buy a new helmet at J&P Cycle, then up to Dyersville to see the Field of Dreams baseball field. Le Claire and Dyersville were free, but you're starting to get away from the Mississippi.

Enjoy your trip/
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:05 AM   #13
TRZ Charlie OP
That's MR. Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkwhizzy View Post
I miss those larruping good tenderloin sandwiches. Looking forward to your pics and report.
Glad to have you with us Mikey. I am eager to read your ride report from out west.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson.biguns View Post
No tender loins?
I am going to stick to the fried variety otherwise my wife might take exception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahflid View Post
In!!!
Glad to have you aboard. I'm getting antsy to leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
Great thing about the motorcycle. You can go on a road trip for 2 weeks with a tent, sleeping bag and rain gear. Have a great time, visit places you always wanted to see or re-visit old ones and it is only a minimal outlay of cash.

I went through Iowa in June. Visited Antique Archaeology in Le Claire (American Pickers on TV). Over to Anamosa to see the Motorcycle Museum and to buy a new helmet at J&P Cycle, then up to Dyersville to see the Field of Dreams baseball field. Le Claire and Dyersville were free, but you're starting to get away from the Mississippi.

Enjoy your trip/
Wow, you gave me some great ideas for stops along the way. We are headed through Le Claire and I will have to make a waypoint so we can visit.

As for Anamosa and Dyersville they are both quite a way from our route, as much as I would like to go back to the Moto Museum I think for this ride it will be a "Field of Dreams" for us.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:12 AM   #14
BigKahunaBurger
They're Real Tasty

Oddometer: 51
Also along the Mississippi in Iowa are Effigy Mounds National Monument and the Yellow River State Forest. Good hiking and/or history lessons available there if you're looking for some time off the bike. I camped in the Yellow River SF on a bike trip last summer and went for a short hike at the Effigy Mounds the next morning. Pretty cool place to visit with great views of the Mississippi!
Old 08-07-2014, 09:14 AM   #15
Scribe
£Bob£

Oddometer: 7,062
Hmmmm ....

Old guys running around Iowa on slow machines. Seems I've seen this movie before somewhere ...

Man Ball Rolls Through Coloutahrado 2014!
Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote