User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2014, 07:49 AM   #1
KayLR OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
corbin seat for 2014 f700gs

Has anyone out there --anyone--ordered a new seat for the F700GS from corbin?????? I have been in a mess since may trying to get a seat from them --they sent the wrong one(they weren't even making the seat for the 2014 700 when they sent the wrong one) I had to send it back and I finally received the new one yesterday and it is all f'd up to say the least -I can't even get it on with lube!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It has pressure points where it hits and they made a cut out for the gas cap that isn't even in the right place!!! Okay, I am a girl and I am so mad I am ready to cry. AGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel like maybe this is the first one they have done for this year model and I am the guinea pig!!! I have had corbin seats on all my bikes and loved them. The one on my 650gs was a dream. I am to the point that I am ready to just go with another company and that bums me out. My riding season is waning away and no seat.....Any input??
07 silver wee-strom----sold
I was dual before it was cool!!!
KayLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:46 AM   #2
toooldtocare
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
I've also owned Corbin seats for years. I have one on my 2014 F700GS with lowered suspension. It needed modification to the latch, but other than that, it is fine. It feels like all my past Corbin's too, including the quality. I have a bit more than a thousand miles on it. It took about two weeks to arrive, I ordered it through my local dealer. Oh, I modified the latch, not the first time.

Edit, though I would show you how to mod the latch. I added a few washers at first under the latch on the seat. After ending up with about 1/4 of an inch, I decided to find a cleaner spacer (couple of spare nuts) and used a couple of longer screws to hold them. The seat now just snaps into place with the slightest push. Also shown, a few shots showing clearance around gas cap and the fake tank. Hope this helps. Wayne
Attached Images

toooldtocare screwed with this post 08-07-2014 at 02:34 PM
toooldtocare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:34 PM   #3
toooldtocare
Adventurer

Next shot. Seat getting close to latching.
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2014, 02:35 PM   #4
toooldtocare
Adventurer

Seat on bike.
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2014, 02:36 PM   #5
toooldtocare
Adventurer

Gas cap clearance.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2014, 06:02 PM   #6
KayLR OP
Gnarly Adventurer

How awful that you even had to do that!!!! Well, being the blonde that I am --turning this second seat they sent me over after trying several attempts, they have once again sent me the wrong seat---this time they sent a seat for an 800 so no wonder nothing lined up. Called them and they indeed agreed that is the wrong seat--again!!! Monday should be interesting to say the least to see how they are going to fix this --if they can --and please let me not have to revamp things like you had to. At what they cost no one should have to do anything to them, and if you do does that void the warranty??? I am glad you got yours to fit.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:24 PM   #7
NotAllWhoWanderRLost
Lost

Oddometer: 434
My wife and I each have a Corbin seat for our bikes (F650GS & F800GS). Similar to Wayne, I had to "adjust" the mounting bracket on both seats before they would easily snap into place. Although I didn't have to add any spacers I just loosened the bracket a little until I got the seat to latch and then snugged the bracket back down once it was in the position where it would snap into place with very little effort or force.

Once the bracket was in the right spot the seat works great and seems to fit my butt pretty well. It is much better than the original BMW seat and I like it better than the Sargent enduro seat I rode for a year.

Good luck!
NotAllWhoWanderRLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:06 PM   #8
Rgconner
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
I am going to drive down there and wait around to have one made sometime in the next year...

That way if they fuck it up I am right there for them to fix it.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:17 AM   #9
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,556
Good luck with that. A couple years I brought my bike in to have my Corbin rebuilt and put a new cover on.

After a 3 hour ride I arrive at the appointed time to find they have no record of the appointment. I wait 1 hour for them to finish up the bike they were working on to see them go to lunch for another hour.

They finally start on mine and I want some modifications to the shape of the foam. No can do, they tell me, the seat covers are based on patterns already determined and that is all they can provide for my TDM.

I chose leather over vinyl which was a mistake. Thin enough you could read a paper through it and did not last long.

After spending hours there I arrive back home 12 hours later.

It pretty much mirrored a prior experience with them on a different bike.

They are not a customer orientated company and being there made no difference to them.

itsatdm screwed with this post 08-11-2014 at 07:55 AM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:05 AM   #10
KayLR OP
Gnarly Adventurer

After defending them for years about their customer service(which I have never had a problem) I now totally understand what everyone is talking about. The left hand doesn't seem to know what the right hand is doing--at all. I have been promised so much stuff in the last 4 months it is borderline ridiculous. I love their seats though and have seem so many compare them to others with not much luck. I really want to hold out for this one but damn, this very patient girl is about to the end of her rope. The first girl I dealt with has been fired --she sold me a seat they weren't even making at the time and sent a seat(not the right one) I was told she couldn't stay of her phone(imagine that in this day and age). I just can not figure out for the life of me why when I phoned to make the order(because I didn't trust the internet order not to get screwed up) why she just couldn't pull up the make and model of my bike with the year and even know if they make that seat. The whole thing has been a nightmare to say the least. I am to understand Mike Corbin is selling the business but I am ready to try and get ahold of him on this.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:38 AM   #11
KayLR OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey Wayne-just got off the phone with corbin and now we are wondering even though this bike is a 2014 if it really needs a 2013 seat . could you please give me the numbers off the bottom of your seat so I can have them check with it to see if yours is also indeed for a 2013 and that is what I need. They are trying to tell me that the 2014 800 seat should fit my bike and it definitely does not. If you could get me all the numbers and info off the bottom of your seat it would help immensely --if they are not there could you give me the name of your dealer and maybe we could find out what they ordered. Thanks so much! Kay
Old 08-11-2014, 12:48 PM   #12
1190RofDoom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
They are trying to tell me that the 2014 800 seat should fit my bike and it definitely does not.
I'm pretty sure the standard seat from my wife's '14 700 fits on my '14 800. I'll triple check when I get home today!
1190RofDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:33 PM   #13
toooldtocare
Adventurer

Hi Kay,

PM message just sent. Anyway, this is my tag and bike info. Hope you can read them. This is not the first Corbin that I have had to modify the latches by adding spacers, my F800S and R1200R too. No big deal though, the screws come out easy and I stick washers (or nuts in this case) under the bracket. I can not believe that it would void the warranty, if you were to have problems, just take them out before you send it back. If I had not done it on this seat, it would have never fit.

One more thing, the tag implies that this seat will fit the F650GS? I don't understand that, since they are not making them for 2014, so what is going on with Corbin. I have never been impressed with their Customer service either, and I have been one of their customers since the mid-late 80's. But their seats are comfortable, and I have tried a few others too.

Wayne
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2014, 02:46 PM   #14
Christof
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Warning lights are flashing down in Quality Control. Or should be. The prices they get for those seats, that type of customer service and shoddy work is inexcusable.

I think the Corbin seat looks too fancy for the F8. They maybe good and comfortable, but I don't like the lines, which are more suited to American cruiser type bikes.
Christof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:12 PM   #15
toooldtocare
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christof View Post
I think the Corbin seat looks too fancy for the F8. They maybe good and comfortable, but I don't like the lines, which are more suited to American cruiser type bikes.
I agree, but I am not a cruiser, I just like to be comfortable. Been riding over 48 years, owned over 20 bikes (most bought new), toured much of US, Europe and Asia on bikes. The Harley was a Shriner bike; I am a Shriner. I added Corbin (or other) seats to many of the following bikes.

64 Ducati 250 MKIV Scrambler, 67 Honda 305 Scrambler, 73 Yamaha TX 650, 74 BMW R90S, 75 Moto Guzzi 850T, 78 Honda 750F, 78 BMW R100RS Motorsport, 79 Triumph 750 Bonneville, 86 R80RT BMW, 87 BMW K100LT, 89 BMW R100RS, 95 BMW R100RT, 97 BMW R1100RT, 2001 BMW R1100RT, 2001 Ducati 750 Monster, 2001 Ducati 900 Monster, 2004 BMW R1100S, 2005 Harley 1200 Sportster, 2007 BMW F800S, 2007 Triumph Scrambler, 2012 BMW R1200R, 2014 BMW F700GS