Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2014, 05:00 PM   #16
Capt CF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christof View Post
Warning lights are flashing down in Quality Control. Or should be. The prices they get for those seats, that type of customer service and shoddy work is inexcusable.

I think the Corbin seat looks too fancy for the F8. They maybe good and comfortable, but I don't like the lines, which are more suited to American cruiser type bikes.
+1 - looks like a nice Harley seat. I'd get a BMW comfort seat and be done with it. It will fit perfectly too! ;)
Old 08-11-2014, 06:57 PM   #17
toooldtocare
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt CF View Post
+1 - looks like a nice Harley seat. I'd get a BMW comfort seat and be done with it. It will fit perfectly too! ;)
My bike came with a Comfort Seat, as well as the stock seat. Look around and you can find my post about it.

I did not know that when I bought it. I ordered it with the Comfort, but I got both, and paid for both, didn't know that either. The Comfort seat was not too bad, but it slid me forward into the gas tank.

I rode it about 2k, thus I gave it a fair try. My issues were, well not pain in the butt, but pain….. The Corbin allowed me to slide back, also relaxing the stress on my wrists.

I realize the Corbin looks like a tractor seat, and those that grew up on farms know that those hard, steel seats were actually not too bad, even though they lack padding. They cradled the butt, spreading the pressure out more evenly.

Anyway, I decided to replace my Corbin with a seat more appropriate with a real man. What do you think?
Attached Images

toooldtocare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:01 PM   #18
toooldtocare
Adventurer

This is my Comfort seat, do you think it really looks better than the Corbin? Besides, I bought my bike to ride. At my age, and with my health, I do not have many years left to ride, so I want to enjoy them. It is not about style.
Attached Images

toooldtocare screwed with this post 08-11-2014 at 07:26 PM
Old 08-11-2014, 07:35 PM   #19
Capt CF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by toooldtocare View Post
This is my Comfort seat, do you think it really looks better than the Corbin? Besides, I bought my bike to ride. At my age, and with my health, I do not have many years left to ride, so I want to enjoy them. It is not about style.
I like your "real man's seat" posted above better. I'd lose the sponge though if you want to be a real, real man!
Old 08-11-2014, 07:52 PM   #20
toooldtocare
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt CF View Post
I like your "real man's seat" posted above better. I'd lose the sponge though if you want to be a real, real man!
That made me laugh.

Thanks, Wayne
Old 08-12-2014, 07:13 AM   #21
toooldtocare
Adventurer

Impressions Corbin vs BMW Comfort seat

Since I have had time on both the Corbin and BMW Comfort seat for the F700/800GS: I though I would share my impressions. I do mostly highway/back road riding, with a few dirt roads and trails thrown in. I am in my very late 60’s, 6 foot tall, 31 inch inseam, have a 33 inch sleeve, and weigh 155 pounds; so take this into consideration if you are reading this to see which seat you want.

BMW Comfort seat – The BAD. I like to slide back so I can lean into the bars and fight the wind at highway speeds. This seat pushes me into the tank, forcing me to have to bend my elbows too much to lean forward to fight the wind. Because of this, it is harder for me to ride fast on the street, especially in strong winds. I have to bend my elbows much more than I like to lean forward, putting strain on my elbows and wrists. The seat material is sticky, making it hard to slide around in fast curves, also feels rather flimsy, but I do not know how it will wear.

BMW Comfort seat – the GOOD. Very soft padding, very comfortable from the start, waterproof design. Because the BMW seat is short, it is easy to put my feet down. The front is a bit narrower than the Corbin, making this even easier. The seating position is perfect for me for dirt roads, trails. The sticky seat material keeps me in place, so easy for me to drop my foot to touch down and push up without sliding off the seat. Very light, and fits the bike well. Doesn’t look bad either, and a bit cheaper than the Corbin.

Corbin – the BAD. Seating surface (mine is leather) soaks up water, if left parked out overnight in the rain I have to use a cover to protect it. If it gets soaked, it takes days to dry out. For trails, the seat is too long and wide. If I have to slide forward, because it is wide, it is not easy to get my feet off the pegs to put down on trails. When my feet are down, the seat spreads them apart, making it even harder to hold the bike on uneven terrain. Not comfortable to sit forward while riding trails, slippery material makes me feel less secure on trails because I slide around too much. Costly, and some people feel it looks like belongs on a Harley. I think it looks like a tractor seat. Heavy, and does not fit the bike without some work.

Corbin – the Good. Wide and long, allows me to slide back and lean into the bars to fight the wind. Slippery surface, allows me to slide around in the curves. Once you are used to it, it is very comfortable. Quality seating surfaces, leather, good quality vinyl, seams, etc. This is my sixth, seventh…I don’t know Corbin I have had, I never have had any problems with wear of the leather, or other surfaces. If you mainly ride pavement, and at rather rapid speeds, and you have long arms, this is the seat I would want, which is why I sold my BMW Comfort seat. That said, everyone is different.

Hope this helps.

Wayne
Old 08-12-2014, 09:45 AM   #22
KayLR OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
Doom , I think you are right about the 800 seat fitting both bikes--the problem is they sent me an 800 adventure seat which is different--that tank on the adventure is bigger and thus different configuration. They just can't seem to get it straight. all pics and serial numbers are being sent today with all the info I have gotten here and from my dealer which even knew they sent the wrong one.
07 silver wee-strom----sold
I was dual before it was cool!!!
KayLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:18 AM   #23
KayLR OP
Gnarly Adventurer

toooldtocare,from what I am understanding the reg 800 seat should fit-which makes me wonder if you had that seat if you would have had to shim yours. My other question is does your seat have places for the alignment mounts that are on your bike?? The 650 seat they sent me did not have those. I have two little coneshaped alignment things that stick up and the first seat they sent me did not have provisions for them. I mean seriously from what the dealer told me today the frame work hasn't really changed so why do they have all these different seats? I ,like you, have checked out all the other seats and come back to this one. I have had guys ride matching bikes with one on a sergeant and the other on a corbin --after much switching out during a days ride they both chose the corbin. I do care what they look like to a point (the reason I won't get a Russell-ugly) but my 21 year old came in the other night and said that is a cool seat!!! I am the only girl riding here and I am not a spring chicken either--I have been the only girl (grandma too) on a lot of dual sport rides--but they all know--if this girls butt isn't happy no one is!! It is the first thing that touches the bike and the last thing to disembark so it better be comfy--take your loud pipes and cool looking farkles--at the end of the day it is about the ride--and how enjoyable it was!!!!
Old 08-12-2014, 12:48 PM   #24
toooldtocare
Adventurer

Kay,

My seat is not the best fit, if it were about 1/4 inch longer it might be better and I would not need those shims. The pegs you talk about are not used either, but the seat does not seem to need them, it rests nicely on the frame. I sometimes use a tank bag (small one) and the straps are stored under the seat with no problem.

I used to own a Russell on a R1100RT, I was not impressed. I replaced it with a Corbin, then sold that, and went back to a stock seat. I rode a friends with a Sargent and it was much better the any of my seats.

I just got back from a 120 mile ride and my butt is burning, something I have not experienced before with Corbin. I am beginning to think maybe a Sargent might be worth looking at.

Below is a photo of the mismatch of seat to tank. I thought they were trying to protect the paint, maybe not, might not be the right seat.

Wayne
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2014, 12:53 PM   #25
toooldtocare
Adventurer

Bit better photo. 1/4 inch gap.
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2014, 09:10 AM   #26
KayLR OP
Gnarly Adventurer

After much research and talking to sargent also I think the seat they needed to send me is the same seat as for the 2012 800-I was told they changed things up on the 800 in 2013. I may very well order the sargent seat too Marty. I told the corbin guy about your seat and told him about the gap and he said that isn't right either. You probably do have the wrong seat. My stuff is going to Mike Corbins desk today ( the owner) and we will see if some fires get lit.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:30 PM   #27
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,778
Sorry for your troubles, Kay. Corbin have, in my opinion, a great product but their customer service is and always has been, one level below pathetic.

Hope you get it sorted.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:51 AM   #28
KayLR OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I am ordering a sargent seat right now--tired of all this mess and they have a money back guarantee if you are not happy with the seat you can send it back--at this point anything would be better than stock! I am going to put this out there though--after talking to Corbin today they are offering a new seat to anyone that will let them use their 700 for a mold!!! If I lived closer I would be all over that-but clear across the U.S. is a bit much for me.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:03 PM   #29
Rgconner
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
I am ordering a sargent seat right now--tired of all this mess and they have a money back guarantee if you are not happy with the seat you can send it back--at this point anything would be better than stock! I am going to put this out there though--after talking to Corbin today they are offering a new seat to anyone that will let them use their 700 for a mold!!! If I lived closer I would be all over that-but clear across the U.S. is a bit much for me.
Who do I contact? I will be down there Saturday if they are serious.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:36 PM   #30
oliverw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
after talking to Corbin today they are offering a new seat to anyone that will let them use their 700 for a mold!!! If I lived closer I would be all over that-but clear across the U.S. is a bit much for me.
I live in Hollister, Corbin is on the other side of town. Does it have to be a 2014? I have a 2013 F700, it should be the same.
oliverw is offline   Reply With Quote